Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Use a Ringtone as Text Tone on iPhone - iOS 17

Since the iOS 17 update I have not been able to assign a ringtone as a text tone. How can I do this now?

I’ve even gone and bought new ringtones and told it to assign the tone as a text tone to a specific contact yet no luck!! Why??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 4:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 10:17 AM

i agree the ring tones should be allowed on the text messages like they used to. I have contacts assigned so a text or call are the same sound so I know who it is and I'm a nurse so all the doctors are assigned a special sound (ring or text) so when covered in isolation gear I know if it's important enough to leave the room to check it or not!!! Plus when I'm on call the longer phone call tones used as a text sound help make sure it wakes me for emergencies!!! I see NO reason to stop us from having that choice like we used to have in all the other iOS. PLEASE RETURN THIS FUNCTION!!!

100 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2023 10:17 AM in response to Gerbear59

i agree the ring tones should be allowed on the text messages like they used to. I have contacts assigned so a text or call are the same sound so I know who it is and I'm a nurse so all the doctors are assigned a special sound (ring or text) so when covered in isolation gear I know if it's important enough to leave the room to check it or not!!! Plus when I'm on call the longer phone call tones used as a text sound help make sure it wakes me for emergencies!!! I see NO reason to stop us from having that choice like we used to have in all the other iOS. PLEASE RETURN THIS FUNCTION!!!

Oct 23, 2023 12:21 PM in response to Gerbear59

I bought text tones from iTunes, when they downloaded they went to ringtones. I want them as I paid for them; TEXT TONES! My IPhone won’t let me put a ringtone as a text tone since this the last IOS 17 version update! I have a 14 pro max. How can I change the text tones that were put into ringtones wrongly back to text tones as they were originally purchased?

Oct 3, 2023 4:48 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

Thanks, but still doesn’t help. Ringtones and text tones used to be together before the iOS 17 update. One could assign either a ring tone or text tone as a text tone to any contact. Since the update, they are separate from each other not allowing one to assign already downloaded ring tones to a contact as a text tone!

apple needs to put downloaded ring tones and text ones back together as they were before the iOS 17 update.

Nov 21, 2023 3:27 AM in response to PeakNewby

Finally got this to work through Apple Shortcuts. After downloading the long ringtone to my phone in mp3 format I have set up an automation to:-

when receiving text from xxxxxx,

1. set volume to max
  2. open file location containing mp3
  3. play sound in that file location

tested and working but still have contact xxx set to bypass and long text tone just in case.

Jan 16, 2024 1:30 PM in response to tstreetkid

tstreetkid wrote:

Apple fix this! Any of the stock tones, text or ring, should be assignable as either a text tone or a ring tone, like before iOS 17.

You aren't writing Apple here. This is a user to user only forum, which Apple doesn't actively participate. If you want to share your request with Apple, you can use this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Use a Ringtone as Text Tone on iPhone - iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.