Apple Watch responding to ghost touch

Ultra 2 now has a mind of its own. It is HAL doing random things with no interaction from me. I’m now locked out because random digits are entered on my login screen. Starting to hate this device and the substandard apps.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 2:19 AM

I had the exact same issue this morning with my Apple Watch Ultra 2 (WatchOS 10.2 (21S364)):

It started when my AWU2 switched the lights on in my house via Homekit (I have the Home App as a complication in the watch face).

After that I was not able to attend a phone call because the display was unresponsive. Tap gesture didn't work either. Then suddenly the keypad opened and the watch started dialing.

I couldn't stop it, so I took the watch off to lock it. But then the it started entering pin-codes and lock me out for 1 minute then 5 minutes... This caused a little panic... I thought I'm hacked...

Then I solved it for now by doing a reboot pushing the crown and the button below on the right side at the same time for a couple of seconds, until the watch goes off.

After starting the watch again, everything was fine. (I had to wait the 5 minutes to pass).

Hope it's only a software thing and it will be fixed by the 10.3 update tonight.

And I'll remove the Home App from the watch face. Otherwise it'll maybe open the garage door next time... ;-) - Lesson learnt.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2024 2:19 AM in response to DMR030

I had the exact same issue this morning with my Apple Watch Ultra 2 (WatchOS 10.2 (21S364)):

It started when my AWU2 switched the lights on in my house via Homekit (I have the Home App as a complication in the watch face).

After that I was not able to attend a phone call because the display was unresponsive. Tap gesture didn't work either. Then suddenly the keypad opened and the watch started dialing.

I couldn't stop it, so I took the watch off to lock it. But then the it started entering pin-codes and lock me out for 1 minute then 5 minutes... This caused a little panic... I thought I'm hacked...

Then I solved it for now by doing a reboot pushing the crown and the button below on the right side at the same time for a couple of seconds, until the watch goes off.

After starting the watch again, everything was fine. (I had to wait the 5 minutes to pass).

Hope it's only a software thing and it will be fixed by the 10.3 update tonight.

And I'll remove the Home App from the watch face. Otherwise it'll maybe open the garage door next time... ;-) - Lesson learnt.

Feb 3, 2024 9:50 PM in response to DMR030

I am Australia based. Had by Ultra 2 for just over 2 months. Yesterday evening my watch became possessed. Ghost touching to the extreme and the screen was glitching as if it had a power issue. After the thing locked me out by randomly tapping numbers itself, I put it in the charger. This morning it seemed okay however I was not having that occur on a new and let’s be fair, for what it is an expensive watch. Took it into the Apple Store I purchased it from. Genius Bar staff were great. Ran a diagnostic and although they could not recreate the issue and it didn’t show up on their software, what was an issue was the battery diagnostic would not complete. Genius member suspected a seal issue in the unit from where I swim (all within expected tolerances). This likely caused the battery to swell putting pressure on the internals and causing the issue. Regardless they swapped it out for a brand new unit and the cover starts again. Top tip - If you have a problem with your unit, take it back to the store you got it from and be nice to the staff. It’s not their fault the unit is faulty. They will often go out of their way to help you more if you are nice as they are mainly dealing with angry folk complaining.

May 16, 2024 2:12 AM in response to DMR030

I am running watchOS 10.5 on AW Series 9 and the problem of ghost touches has not been fixed. In my case it happens every time I use the workout app and wear a jacket. The AW9 registers touches from my sleeve: it marks segments by itself, stops music tracks, skips music tracks, changes the current screen view. It is extremely annoying and ongoing. The issue has been out there for a long time and Apple failed miserably to fix it.

What's more Apple support refuses to trigger a support call for this issue so they cut off support and haven't fixed the issue!

Reluctant to admit but Apple is so arrogant, slow and incompetent. I am deeply disappointed and this will be my last Apple Watch.

Apple Watch responding to ghost touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.