Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Using external monitor (A1407) with my MacBook Air (2020) running Sonoma.

I would like to know if this will work. If I need an adapter, please let me know which one.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 10:46 AM

A1407 is an Apple Thunderbolt Display. You cannot use USB-C to Mini DisplayPort adapters. They may have connectors that fit, but they carry the wrong type of signal. You need the Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

9 replies

May 16, 2024 11:37 AM in response to Ozcar_Photograper

Ozcar_Photograper wrote:

Hi, I bought the adaptor directly from apple but still the monitor does not respond, any advice?, I'm using a Mac Book Pro 13-inch with a A1407 Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Check that this is an A1407 (Apple Thunderbolt Display – has a FireWire 800 port, and no USB uplink), and not a similar A1316 (27" LED Cinema Display – has a USB uplink, but no FireWire 800 port).

• A1407 - Will work when connected via TB3-to-2 adapter, but NOT when connected via a USB-C to mDP one. (A USB-C to mDP adapter will not provide a Thunderbolt signal.)
  • A1316 – Will work when connected via USB-C to mDP adapter, but NOT when directly plugged into TB3-to-2 one. (That adapter does not know how to make the TB2 side appear to be a plain Mini DisplayPort.)

If it is an A1407 Apple Thunderbolt Display, and things aren't working, the permanently-connected "hydra cable" may be bad. You could try running a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable from the TB3-to-2 adapter to the TB daisy-chaining port on the display to bypass the bad cable.

Jan 15, 2024 4:05 PM in response to elvina2024

If your Mac has a Thunderbolt 3 or 4 port (with a USB-C connector), you can connect a 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display (model A1407) with the aid of an Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter.

There is no adapter that will let you connect that display to a USB-A port, or to the USB-C ports on 12” Retina MacBooks (which have USB-C but lack Thunderbolt). The display only works with a Thunderbolt signal.

May 16, 2024 10:19 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Hi, I bought the adaptor directly from apple but still the monitor does not respond, any advice?, I'm using a Mac Book Pro 13-inch with a A1407 Apple Thunderbolt Display.

I try to force the Mac to identify the Display by pressing the Key Option in System Settings>Displays but the Mac can't "see" the A1407 Apple Thunderbolt Display.

The AC conector is well connected

Oscar

Using external monitor (A1407) with my MacBook Air (2020) running Sonoma.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.