Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 15 pro not charging in car or or airplane

I got my iPhone 15 about 3 months back and have had no issues with charging it.

i just flew over to europe and i could not charge my phone on any of the airplanes, not even with my wireless charging pad. I could charge my AirPods. I tried several different cables.

when I tried to charge it in my sisters car, same thing. I can't charge it in any of the USB ports.

anyone got a solution to this?

thank you

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 12:45 PM

I’m about to go back to my iPhone 13 if we can’t get this 15 to charge in a dang car

17 replies

Dec 29, 2023 2:14 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hi,

can confirm that the phone charges with the same cables when plugged into a wall socket and not just a usb port.

Phone has been turned off many times and the port is cleaned.

The issue seems to be that the iPhone 15 needs a higher voltage/amp to be able to charge, and most usb ports does not reach it.

You would think that a car and an airplane would have high enough voltage in their ports.

Dec 27, 2023 5:09 AM in response to yellinb

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Use a Wall Charger: Try charging your iPhone using a wall charger and see if it charges normally. This will help determine if the issue is specific to the ports you've been using.
  2. Check the USB Cable and Adapter: Ensure you're using an Apple-certified USB cable and adapter. Sometimes, using third-party or faulty cables/adapters can cause charging issues.
  3. Clean the Charging Port: There might be dust or debris accumulated in the charging port. Use a small brush or compressed air to gently clean it out.
  4. Restart Your iPhone: Sometimes, a simple restart can fix charging issues. Turn off your iPhone, wait a few seconds, and then turn it back on.

May 14, 2024 12:05 PM in response to yellinb

Having the same issue with our two IPhone 15’s. But one additional observation for us - it seems the phone will charge normally in the car (not go 1 second charge, 1 second no-charge, back to 1 second charge continuously) ONLY if the phone’s battery is somewhere above 50% charged (not sure about where the cutoff is exactly). If the phone had dropped in power to something in the 30% range (or less) - phone will not charge using car USB. If the phone is in a 60% (or more) state, it will charge in car. To me, this seems to be an Apple iOS or hardware issue and it would be nice if someone from Apple added useful information to this discussion.

iPhone 15 pro not charging in car or or airplane

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.