Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to check if the motherboard of MacBook Pro is not replaced.

My laptop had 1GB left storage when I simply plugged in the power cable and there was already a notification that the laptop will upgrade to Sonoma once plugged in. My MacBook Pro became unresponsive on plugging in the power cable. On pressing the power button there was nothing happening - blank screen. I reported the same to Apple and they suggested I take to Apple authorized service center. Per chance I couldn't find the location and instead went to another service center that was not an authorized one.

He kept the laptop for a day, asked for 200$ initially then 100$ and then said that they are ready to purchase it if I want to sell the laptop. Since I had purchased the laptop only in 2022, I simply told them I don't want to get anything done from them and kindly return the laptop. The next day I showed it authorized Apple Service Center and they said that fan rubber was missing which the unauthorized service center admitted they had kept. Later in the evening the authorized Apple Service Center also reported that motherboard was not functioning and that they would take 600$, likewise they also said that motherboard seems to be not replaced since the number is the same. I am curious and for sure that the unauthorized service center has done some big mischief and want to know what I can do. I have following doubts -

1. Is it possible that Mac Sonoma on upgrade attempt yields MBP unresponsive after even 2-3 hours ?
  2. If the motherboard serial number is same as written at the bottom of MBP - then does this completely suffice that it has not been replaced ?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Apr 29, 2024 8:40 AM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2024 8:55 AM in response to mon2104

mon2104 wrote:

1. My laptop had 1GB left storage when I simply plugged in the power cable and there was already a notification that the laptop will upgrade to Sonoma once plugged in. My MacBook Pro became unresponsive on plugging in the power cable. On pressing the power button there was nothing happening - blank screen. I reported the same to Apple and they suggested I take to Apple authorized service center. Per chance I couldn't find the location and instead went to another service center that was not an authorized one.
He kept the laptop for a day, asked for 200$ initially then 100$ and then said that they are ready to purchase it if I want to sell the laptop. Since I had purchased the laptop only in 2022, I simply told them I don't want to get anything done from them and kindly return the laptop. The next day I showed it authorized Apple Service Center and they said that fan rubber was missing which the unauthorized service center admitted they had kept. Later in the evening the authorized Apple Service Center also reported that motherboard was not functioning and that they would take 600$, likewise they also said that motherboard seems to be not replaced since the number is the same. I am curious and for sure that the unauthorized service center has done some big mischief and want to know what I can do. I have following doubts -
Is it possible that Mac Sonoma on upgrade attempt yields MBP unresponsive after even 2-3 hours ?
2. If the motherboard serial number is same as written at the bottom of MBP - then does this completely suffice that it has not been replaced ?
Thanks.

It sounds like your logic board failed, if that is the case replace it if it is the cost effect option.

The rest is impossible to speculate.

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Logicboards repaired by replacement by Apple Authorized Service Provider,  the new board gets flashed with the serial number seen in the “About this Mac” dialog box,same as seen with Terminal commands.

Apple/AASP have a Blank Board Serializer to accomplish this task.

You would have been charged for this operation.

How to check if the motherboard of MacBook Pro is not replaced.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.