Apple Music Crashes Causing Mac Studio To Restart After Sonoma 14.5 Update

Just updated my Mac Studio to Sonoma 14.5 yesterday everything was fine until today when I attempted to airplay to my HomePods for the first time after the update.

I was using the Apple Music app and was attempting to Airplay to my living room HomePod stereo pair. When I select the check box for the HomePods, the app hangs for about 2 seconds the crashes with a pink screen and the Mac Studio restarts.

I tried 3 times and the same thing happened all 3 times.

Posted on May 14, 2024 3:00 PM

5 replies

May 17, 2024 1:06 AM in response to MacRevisited

MacRevisited wrote:

PRP_53 wrote:

How many times has the computer been restarted since the Sonoma 14.5 update ?
First restart was 1 hour after the update. Then each time the Music app crashes it causes the Studio to restart, so that's at least another 6 restarts.
Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

Does the issue present in this mode ?
Yes, same issue in safe mode

Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.
Last thing I tried was a fresh boot into safe mode, followed by a normal boot, still have the same issue.

There could be something in the main User Account playing up.

To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

Download the Application Etrecheck  ( External Link ) directly from the Developer.

The Application is Not a " Silver Bullet "  and is  only a tool to examine the Hardware / Software used on this computer 

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer Hardware / Software used on this computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Lastly - should you decide to use and post the Report now or at a later time, we are willing to have a very close look and offer some insights 

May 16, 2024 1:40 AM in response to MacRevisited

MacRevisited wrote:

I updated the HomePods to version 17.5 but it didn't help.

I also have a Mac mini M1 running Sonoma 14.5, I can AirPlay from Apple Music to the HomePods with no problems, I have a 2017 iMac running Ventura no problem with AirPlay to HomePods

Issue is restricted to the Mac Studio M2 Max, Sonoma 14.5, Apple Music app, and trying to AirPlay to HomePods for some reason.

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

May 16, 2024 5:58 PM in response to PRP_53

PRP_53 wrote:

First restart was 1 hour after the update. Then each time the Music app crashes it causes the Studio to restart, so that's at least another 6 restarts.

Yes, same issue in safe mode

Last thing I tried was a fresh boot into safe mode, followed by a normal boot, still have the same issue.

May 15, 2024 5:50 PM in response to Randall_2023

I updated the HomePods to version 17.5 but it didn't help.

I also have a Mac mini M1 running Sonoma 14.5, I can AirPlay from Apple Music to the HomePods with no problems, I have a 2017 iMac running Ventura no problem with AirPlay to HomePods

Issue is restricted to the Mac Studio M2 Max, Sonoma 14.5, Apple Music app, and trying to AirPlay to HomePods for some reason.

Apple Music Crashes Causing Mac Studio To Restart After Sonoma 14.5 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.