Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

how can I add my album/folder tree structure as keywords to my photos

Hi,

I dont find a way in the Photos app that allows me to automatically add the album name as a keyword to the photos in the album.

I have a structure like "Years" (folder) --> "2000" (folder) --> "2000-01-01" (album) --> pictures

Because for example If I find a picture in People/Faces I would like to see in which album it is. I found this script but it looks like it is not working Script: Add the Album Name as a keyword t… - Apple Community.

As a workaround I use PowerPhotos or

osxphotos inspect

which allows me to select a picture and shows me in which albums it currently is.

In the end the pictures in the album mentioned above should have the keywords "Years", "2000", "2000-01-01".

Does anyone has a script for something like this?

Posted on May 15, 2024 6:52 AM

9 replies

May 15, 2024 7:28 AM in response to YNoel2000

For a while I added the album name as a keyword to every picture by selecting all the pictures in the album and adding the keyword in a batch. But, as I changed the organization, had pictures in multiple albums with multiple album name keywords each, and had my keyword list taken over by album names, I gave it up. If I really want to know the albums a picture is in, I use Power Photos.

May 15, 2024 7:42 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

I understand your point. I have over 3000 albums and if I want to go over some pictures and make new albums in the future it would certainly be a mess. But if it is possible to "batch-add" keywords then it should be possible to simply delete all keywords and just re-label them again. Because I really dont use keywords for anything else is would not be a problem for me.

May 16, 2024 4:09 AM in response to YNoel2000

I have posted this question on reddit and a possible solution provided by u/rturnbull is using osxphotos

osxphotos batch-edit --keyword "{folder_album|split(/)}"

or if albums contain / in their name

osxphotos batch-edit --keyword "{folder_album(;)|split(;)}"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ApplePhotos/comments/1cspqly/how_can_i_add_my_albumfolder_tree_structure_as/

[Edited by Moderator]

how can I add my album/folder tree structure as keywords to my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.