New IPad Pro M4 13 inch battery draining fast

I got myself the new IPad Pro M4 13-inch (512Gb) this week, and it feels like the battery is draining really quickly. Went down 5% in just 15 minutes using standard apps like Outlook and Pages. Overnight it also lost 5%, with background activity being switched off as well as “Find My” being switched off. Currently running iOS 17.5.

Anyone else been experiencing the same? There are so many great reviews talking about the battery life of this new iPad, but the experience is proving otherwise?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on May 16, 2024 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2024 4:10 PM

I have my new M4 iPad sitting right next to the 2018 pro I am replacing and the M4 is losing battery faster. This is a week after delivery, when it is just sitting with a 5 apps open but no active use. (The 2018 has 16 apps open...) Not what I bought this for.

26 replies

May 16, 2024 3:22 PM in response to S_hno

Yes, for me too. Branta makes a good point about the new toy factor, but I never got over that stage with my previous iPad, so I've been using this new one exactly the same (which I admit is a lot.)

I'll wait for a few days to let things settle in, but first impression is that it's using battery markedly faster than the 12.9" Pro. I passed that one on to my wife, so I can run some comparison tests if it persists.

May 25, 2024 9:50 PM in response to S_hno

My battery on my new iPad 13 in M4 model has been draining too, i charged it to 80% (12 am) went to sleep got up and it was at 49% (9 am) went to work and got back home checked the battery and it was at 23% (9 pm) I use to have the 11 in 2022 iPad pro and I never had this issue, it would last for at least 4-5 days if i didn’t use it charge would go down but not as fast as my new one. If it helps, the thing that says that drained my battery is Siri and Find My, which makes no sense how Siri would drain since I wasn’t even using Siri… and for Find My it makes no sense that it would drain over 60% of my battery in the span of a day.

May 25, 2024 12:26 PM in response to S_hno

I’m 9 days in and super unimpressed with the battery life.

At this very moment flying NYC to LA and with two hours to go, I’m down to 33%. I should have plenty of battery left, and simply not the case.

My previous 4th gen iPad Pro seemed to last much longer. 🤔 don’t quite know what to do, can’t get the old one back - and don’t really want it back, this generally performs much better, but the battery is not performing as expected nor as represented by Apple.

May 16, 2024 2:30 AM in response to S_hno

It is not unusual for a new installation to be running background tasks to rebuild all the internal indexes for storage, and the extra work causes more battery load than expected by the user. This usually reverts to normal within about the first day.

The other issue is the New Toy Factor. The rated battery life is for a set of standard conditions which reflect normal usage. You have a new gadget, and if you are anything like me the screen (heavy battery user) was awake for several continuous hours while you explored. My 11" iPad Pro M4 went down to about 60% in a few hours yesterday afternoon after completing the initial setup. After re-charging it dropped 3% overnight in default configuration.

May 26, 2024 6:18 AM in response to S_hno

I recently bought my new M4 iPad Pro and have hardly any apps on it. Morning I had 68% battery and just after browsing on safari for 5hrs brought by battery down to just 6%. Its draining way too fast during simple web surfing without videos and also in standby it looses between 5-10%. What’s the point of adding M4 or heavy processors when the apps don’t even need 40% of it while the battery doesn’t last more than just few hours 😓

May 17, 2024 2:34 PM in response to S_hno

UPDATE: Spoke with support and they agreed there was a problem after running the diagnostics. They called my local Apple Store and I just returned home with a new replacement.

I had nothing running in the background and all updates had finished. When I tried to charge it this morning it stopped at 27% because it got too hot. That was the dead giveaway for me. The back of the unit was not just warm but hot to the touch.

All in all pretty painless except for the traffic by my Apple Store.

New IPad Pro M4 13 inch battery draining fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.