Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference returns June 10, 2024

Unable to add 2nd MDM Server to new location

I'm logged into ABM and trying to add a new MDM server for Intune. We currently have an MDM server for MobileIron which I don't want to disconnect yet. I've read where I need to add a second location to our ABM to get a 2nd MDM Server added which won't disconnect the 1st MDM Server but even with the 2nd location added I still get the prompt "Downloading a new MDM server token will reset your existing one."

I need to leave the 1st MDM server in place for now. How do I get this to work with having 2 MDM servers and a unique token for each to use?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Posted on May 16, 2024 9:56 AM

3 replies

May 16, 2024 11:32 AM in response to 2jko7860

To create a new MDM token you should be able to simply:

1: Click on your name (bottom left corner) and select Preferences from the popup menu

2: In the middle column, press the + button next to MDM Server Assignment.

3: In the right column, complete the form by entering the Name of the MDM, deciding if you want the MDM to release assets from Chain of Custody (I vote no on this, especially if you are new to Intune and plan on doing a lot of re-enrolling)

4: Choose the Public Key token that you've exported from Intune. (Devices | macOS > macOS | macOS enrollment > enrollment programs token)

5: Press Save.

6: Press Download MDM Server token from ABM and import this into Intune.

7: Assign or reassign hardware assets to the new MDM token. Note, Intune can take up to 24 hours to sync the token so you may want to consider moving this step to just after step 5. Add you assets BEFORE downloading the token and importing it to Intune.

I've just performed these steps and did not receive any alerts. Are you sure you have the proper MDM server selected?

May 17, 2024 9:40 AM in response to Strontium90

Yes, I get that error when I try to download the token on the new MDM server I just created. From what I've ready, you get around this error by creating a new location within our ABM, I've done that, but it still doesn't do anything different for me. We have a large number of devices in our current MDM Server setup which is in sync with MobileIron but I didn't want to move those devices yet until I have this current MDM/Intune setup tested accurately with test devices. Then I would move them when I know they will work as tested. The devices to be moved are all production facing and can't have issues. I'm just not sure how to get around this error as I don't want to invalidate the current MobileIron setup.

May 20, 2024 10:51 AM in response to 2jko7860

Are you trying to set up a new MDM server or a new VPP token? VPP tokens can only be used with 1 MDM. You need multiple locations to have multiple VPP tokens. You can have many MDM servers. I've personally used 20 different MDM servers with the same location. This was more of a workaround for multiple programs within a Jamf instance, but it's possible. For migrations, I've always created a new location with a new VPP token and MDM server. Then I set things up and move devices over. Finally, I migrate licenses to the new location so I don't have to buy them again.

Unable to add 2nd MDM Server to new location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.