Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

DAWs not receiving input from interfaces

I have an M1 Mac Mini and an M1 MacBook Air. I have used the Mini previously for some home recording without issues (using, alternately, Audient iD4 and Solid State Logic SSL 2 interfaces), using a variety of apps including Tracktion Waveform 12, GarageBand, and Ableton Live.

However, something in macOS seems to have broken the connection between audio inputs and the apps.

The interfaces are working fine - I tested them on an older Intel MacBook Pro.

In System Settings -> Sound, when I set the audio input to the external interface, I can see the level meter moving properly. I can also record into QuickTime Player using ‘New Audio Recording’ just fine, so it seems the OS is receiving audio at the system level.

However, whenever I try to create a new track in any DAW, no audio is being passed through, even though all the audio settings are correct.

I have swapped cables and ports to try to rule that out; tried USB-A and Thunderbolt ports on the Mini, tried connecting through the hub on my LG 5K, nothing changes.

This appears to be a system-level bug. Any ideas?

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on May 23, 2023 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 3:48 PM

SOLVED: Ventura locks audio permissions under the 'Privacy and Security' Settings panel.

When an app launches and asks for permission to "access the microphone," it is in fact asking for access to any or all audio inputs. If you say no to that popup, it won't have audio access. You then have to go to the Privacy & Security panel and manually toggle microphone access for each app.

SUGGESTION: This is confusing and misleading UI and should be changed.

1. Yes, it's good that apps have audio permissions. However, if you're launching a DAW or other app with the capability to record and playing back audio, there should be some mechanism to alert the user that the app cannot access selected audio hardware unless they make a change to the settings, preferably with a convenient link to take you to the specific Settings ➔ privacy ➔ microphone panel. (Nielsen heuristics 101: show the system state)
  2. The popup dialog wording is misleading. I presumed that it wanted access to the built-in microphone on my device, and naturally I would say no to that. If the actual point of the Microphone permissions is audio permissions, then it should be reworded to say that.
  3. The permissions dialog could actually be better (if slightly more complicated) in offering multiple options for the user to check. i.e. "This application needs access to your audio hardware. Please check which devices this application should use," with a checkbox list of the built-in and connected external audio devices, and possibly additional options for which ones should be for input, output, and playback of alert sounds.
  4. Audio permissions should be moved from Privacy and Security to the Sound settings tab. I would never in a million years have expected to find them there.
  5. Ideally, the current functions of the old Audio MIDI Setup app should be merged there as well.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 3:48 PM in response to AJ Kandy

SOLVED: Ventura locks audio permissions under the 'Privacy and Security' Settings panel.

When an app launches and asks for permission to "access the microphone," it is in fact asking for access to any or all audio inputs. If you say no to that popup, it won't have audio access. You then have to go to the Privacy & Security panel and manually toggle microphone access for each app.

SUGGESTION: This is confusing and misleading UI and should be changed.

1. Yes, it's good that apps have audio permissions. However, if you're launching a DAW or other app with the capability to record and playing back audio, there should be some mechanism to alert the user that the app cannot access selected audio hardware unless they make a change to the settings, preferably with a convenient link to take you to the specific Settings ➔ privacy ➔ microphone panel. (Nielsen heuristics 101: show the system state)
  2. The popup dialog wording is misleading. I presumed that it wanted access to the built-in microphone on my device, and naturally I would say no to that. If the actual point of the Microphone permissions is audio permissions, then it should be reworded to say that.
  3. The permissions dialog could actually be better (if slightly more complicated) in offering multiple options for the user to check. i.e. "This application needs access to your audio hardware. Please check which devices this application should use," with a checkbox list of the built-in and connected external audio devices, and possibly additional options for which ones should be for input, output, and playback of alert sounds.
  4. Audio permissions should be moved from Privacy and Security to the Sound settings tab. I would never in a million years have expected to find them there.
  5. Ideally, the current functions of the old Audio MIDI Setup app should be merged there as well.

DAWs not receiving input from interfaces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.