iPad Battery Drain when off

My iPad is the 10.9 inch model less than a year old. After the last use I shut it down at about 70% battery charge left. Four days later I turn it on to find the battery down to 1%. This has not happened till now after about 40 times on the proper charger. This is way too soon before battery failure. My 10 year old iPad's battery still works fine.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 3:11 PM

The symptoms that you describe suggest a potentially failing iPad battery. 

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2023 3:11 PM in response to ejbpesca

The symptoms that you describe suggest a potentially failing iPad battery. 

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jun 6, 2023 8:49 PM in response to ejbpesca

After a charge up the iPad operated very well today even with a peripheral feeding power off the USB port. There was no unusual drain during a 3 hour usage. I was surprised how well the battery ran the iPad and a digital interface. I have it on charge at present. Leaving it shut down a few days off charger will tell if this happens again. Upon start up before charging today it booted from off as usual. There had been ≈ 70% battery left at last shut down 4 days ago but the battery indicator showed 1% upon start up today. Looking at the battery app, there is no sign of it using 99% of the battery charge. Could this have been incorrect battery charge level reading?

iPad Battery Drain when off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.