Reminders app not working for kid's "family setup" watch

Kid has an apple watch that has "family setup" through my iPhone. No matter what I do, notifications for reminders do not show up on the kid's watch. Notifications for reminders DO show up on kid's iPad. But the watch gets no notification at all - no sound, no haptic, and not even a record of the missed notification when you swipe down on the watch to see old notifications.

I went in to "notifications" in settings, and "Reminders" doesn't even show up there, so there's no way to toggle notification settings for the Reminder app.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Apple Watch SE

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 9:16 AM

Nope. Literally hours on the phone with support and noting.

What's frustrating is that I know what the issues is. There's a known bug in reminders app. For some folks with normal (non-family setup) accounts, to get notifications to work with reminders, you need to open the app on your phone, go in and create a reminder with a specific time/date. ONLY THEN will you get a popup asking if you want to allow notifications for the reminders app. That's the bug. You shouldn't have to set a reminder with a specific date and time in the phone to be asked if you want to enable notifications for reminders app. But you do.

So this is a fairly simple fix for a fairly small bug. BUT.... the problem is that for folks like us, who have a kid that does NOT have an iPhone with their own account, they can't do this workaround for the bug... since their watch is connected to the adult's iPhone (on which the reminders app is connected to the adult's account), there is just no way to fix this bug when you've got a "family setup" Apple Watch.

I'm not sure if I explained that well, but that's what's gonig on. So apple needs to fix this bug that exists in the reminders app for "family setup" Apple Watches to be able to get reminder notifications.

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2023 9:16 AM in response to Jmart244

Nope. Literally hours on the phone with support and noting.

What's frustrating is that I know what the issues is. There's a known bug in reminders app. For some folks with normal (non-family setup) accounts, to get notifications to work with reminders, you need to open the app on your phone, go in and create a reminder with a specific time/date. ONLY THEN will you get a popup asking if you want to allow notifications for the reminders app. That's the bug. You shouldn't have to set a reminder with a specific date and time in the phone to be asked if you want to enable notifications for reminders app. But you do.

So this is a fairly simple fix for a fairly small bug. BUT.... the problem is that for folks like us, who have a kid that does NOT have an iPhone with their own account, they can't do this workaround for the bug... since their watch is connected to the adult's iPhone (on which the reminders app is connected to the adult's account), there is just no way to fix this bug when you've got a "family setup" Apple Watch.

I'm not sure if I explained that well, but that's what's gonig on. So apple needs to fix this bug that exists in the reminders app for "family setup" Apple Watches to be able to get reminder notifications.

Sep 4, 2023 10:00 AM in response to WinsC1

This is an issue that a lot of families wish that Apple would address. Currently, a watch that is a “family device”, like a stand-alone watch for a child that is set up through a parent’s iPhone does not have access to the same settings menu in the Watch app that the parent’s watch has in that same menu.

Yes, I verified this through Apple support.

I see this an Apple pressuring everyone to have a dedicated iPhone attached to every watch. What Apple is refusing to accept is that families could simply want watches for their children instead phones, until they are old enough, responsible enough, etc.

The functionalities that we’re looking for, to help our children succeed, are not available to us, simply because of this limitation with Family Devices.

So the Reminders app will not the send the notifications that our children badly need, because we don’t have access to the Notification settings.

Apple really needs to fix this.

Dec 29, 2023 11:34 PM in response to WinsC1

This is not what the OP is asking. Please don’t answer if you don’t have a solution or actual factual information relating to the issue.

The bottom line is that that the Apple Watch set up in Family mode cannot receive notifications about Reminders. Which is one of the dumbest things about the Watch. What is the point in having reminders if the reminder doesn’t occur?!

Jun 13, 2023 4:05 PM in response to JHP392093

Hey JHP392093,

We'd recommend reviewing this article as it provides steps to help resolve notification issues with Apple Watch: Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

"If you don't see notifications on your Apple Watch

When your devices disconnect, your notifications go to your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch. To check your connection, swipe up on the watch face to open Control Center. If your devices are disconnected, you might see the red iPhone icon , the red X icon , or the Wi-Fi icon . Try to connect your iPhone and Apple Watch.

When your Apple Watch locks or you turn on Do Not Disturb, your notifications go to your iPhone:

1. When your Apple Watch is locked, the lock icon  appears on the watch face.
  2. When Do Not Disturb is on, the Do Not Disturb icon  appears on the watch face. To turn this feature off, swipe up on the watch face, then tap the Do Not Disturb button .

For third-party apps, notifications are delivered only if your paired iPhone is also connected to a network. "

If that doesn't resolve the issue, contact Apple Support for assistance here: Get Support

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2023 11:44 AM in response to JHP392093

I am having this exact same problem. I would like to set up reminders for music practice on my kids' apple watches. I need the notifications to go to them and have them marked tasks completed. I wouldn't mind seeing the notification as well but the priority is that they receive these reminders. This limits the functionality of the apple watch for children. Can someone from Apple please provide meaningful support here?

Reminders app not working for kid's "family setup" watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.