 tv turns on when I ask Siri to play music thru homepod

since one of these iOS 16 update(I don’t remember which one) when I ask Siri to play music to the HomePod and my HomePod minis my  tv turns on. This use to never turn on before, and yes I had my HomePod set up to run the sound on my tv, but all of a sudden after one of these updates everything got turned around. How can I have the HomePod play music without having the  tv come on, and still have the HomePod run the sound of the tv?

Posted on Jun 23, 2023 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2024 2:47 AM

This problem just started happening for me today. I've had two HomePods connected as default audio output to my AppleTV for 2 years and the TV has never come on when requesting music until today.

I've checked Airplay settings, Home settings, reset the HomePods and nothing has fixed the issue. Anyone found a solution?

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2024 2:47 AM in response to turingtest2

This problem just started happening for me today. I've had two HomePods connected as default audio output to my AppleTV for 2 years and the TV has never come on when requesting music until today.

I've checked Airplay settings, Home settings, reset the HomePods and nothing has fixed the issue. Anyone found a solution?

Mar 9, 2024 6:44 AM in response to Punka$$CG

I don't know why you've been lucky until now, but I'm pretty sure that things have worked this way for a long time. Almost since the default speaker option was introduced. I can't test this myself right now. My Apple TV 4 HD won't let me choose default speakers, and my ATV 4K(v1) can't turn on the TV it is connected to for reasons unknown, so that wouldn't be a legitimate test.

tt2

May 14, 2024 6:06 PM in response to tvturnsonwhenyouwantmusictopl

I’ve had this problem since the first generation of home pod (the original big one) so I’ve had to unpair all my HomePod speakers & only airplay to them when I want to use them in conjunction to my Apple TV. The only other thing I can think of is in my music settings I have it set to play music videos too. So maybe by default it try’s to play on the Apple TV? Idk.

 tv turns on when I ask Siri to play music thru homepod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.