To STOP segments during a workout on Apple Watch:

Select the Workout Activity, such as "Outdoor Walk" NOTE: Do not start the walk, instead:

1. Tap the 3 dots in the upper righthand corner
  2. Then, Tap the Pencil Icon
  3. Then, SCROLL down to "Splits"
  4. Tap "Splits"
  5. Where it says "Splits Alert' ensure you TURN OFF the alert by tapping the righthand "slide" to GRAY instead of GREEN.
  6. This should turn off your unwanted segments and splits notifications. The segments should be available once you stop your workout, should you want to access them.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 3:17 PM

Why should we have to disable lap splits to get rid of segments. I get segment alerts when a damp sleeve touches the screen. I’ll never use segments but always use 1 mile splits.

Please for all that is holy give us the option to disable segments!

38 replies

Dec 15, 2023 11:38 AM in response to IronTriKev

Yeah, no doubt it would be much better if segments could be turned off. Or rather, segments default would be off, and segments would have to be turned on.

Jan 26, 2024 8:00 AM in response to IronTriKev

Same problem and getting worse. 77 segments in a 1k section this week. Like some others on here I’ve narrowed it down to wet sleeves touching the screen - or just moisture. Tried switching off segments…. But you can’t - it’s like the old joke of trying to turn the lights off on a Volvo.

please apple fix this. It’s easy. Build the watch so segments don’t exist unless the user specifically turns them on. Simples.

Jan 12, 2024 2:32 AM in response to JFM7444

I tried these steps but the last one isn't available on my watch: You can disable segments and heart rate zones.

1. On the watch access the workout. select the three dots (…)
  2. scroll to the bottom and tap the preferences
  3. tap the outdoor cycle workout views
  4. Scroll down and adjust to Not include segments and heart rate zones etc.

There is nothing that mentions "segments" when I get to this step

Jan 24, 2024 9:07 AM in response to dveritas

Yes, this is a very frustrating thing with my apple watch. I noticed it only happens when I am wearing long sleeves. It is truly annoying to be running a long race or just training and having infinite segments because my sleeve is accidentally tapping the segment button.

Is there a way to turn this off? I tried to turn 'splits' off as other comments suggest, but my workout view still includes the segment. Or at least require vocal confirmation to start a new segment?

I think I may finally try Coros or another running watch, because Apple Fitness is very behind the curve.

Dec 15, 2023 1:12 PM in response to Community User

I spoke with Apple Support. Really helpful and followed up.

You can disable segments and heart rate zones.

1. On the watch access the workout. select the three dots (…)
  2. scroll to the bottom and tap the preferences
  3. tap the outdoor cycle workout views
  4. Scroll down and adjust to Not include segments and heart rate zones etc.

It has worked on my last two rides.

Dec 14, 2023 9:56 PM in response to IronTriKev

Hi, I may have just found a workaround. I had the same problem, as you, and many others, and yesterday I probably got nine segment alerts in less than 50 feet of a run. Not sure if it works yet because I haven't used it in a real workout, but I remembered this ...

"Please for all that is holy give us the option to disable segments!," and couldn't agree more!

It's not perfect and I don't know if it will work if you're looking for exact times. I've tried it with Outdoor Walk and Outdoor Run, but not in a real workout, yet.

Go to Outdoor Walk or Run and open it.

Then hit the side button, not the crown dial. It takes you to the control screen.

Hit the water drop. It locks the screen.

To unlock the screen when you're done, hold the crown, and it will do that water ejection thing.

I won't know if it will give mile splits until tomorrow, I sure hope it does. My apologies if it doesn't work and I've wasted your time. I just remembered your post when I was trying to solve this yesterday after getting so many segment alerts that I wanted to slam my watch into the ground. It all happens because of my wet sleeve, it doesn't happen in the summertime.

Hope it helps, Tim

To STOP segments during a workout on Apple Watch:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.