Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Search function in apple mail does no longer werk since update Ventura, even after most recent version update

Since I updated to Ventura, my apple mail has become impossible to search. Even just typing a part of a title or a name leads to 0 results. I use apple mail for work, and I combine multiple accounts as I have multiple commitments. This is a crucial feature for me. I have tried all the suggestions I could find online (rebuilding, deleting and re-installing account, searching with codes such as "from:", updating to ventura (just updated to version 13.6, no solution), using spotlight, etc) but nothing works. I even re-organised my mailbox, deleting and organising thousands of mails. I am not a programmer and have no experience in rebooting in safe mode etc. I see these problems have persisted for months, why is this so hard to fix? I am ready to ditch apple mail altogether and find a mail client that does what it needs to do. Or does anyone have the golden tip?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Sep 25, 2023 1:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 8:30 PM

Pretty frustrating to say the least. Wish Apple would focus on making things work rather than a new OS every year.

52 replies

Dec 9, 2023 5:37 AM in response to els_sb

We have exactly the same problem: there is no way to search for emails on our M2 Macbook Air. The flagged emails folder doesn't work either. On our Mac Studio however, everything works as usual. Strange, because both have the exact some Mac OS (Sonoma 14.1.2 ) ...

Please fix!!! People and businesses rely on these basic functions and we certainly can't loose time troubleshooting.

Nov 30, 2023 9:41 PM in response to vee_why

A couple of laptops at our office are experiencing the same thing, where both Mail search and Spotlight don’t work. The only thing I have found to work so far is restarting the indexing service with mdutil. One of the laptops has had to restart it a few times now.

to restart the indexing service do the following 2 commands in terminal:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

sudo mdutil -a -i on

Mar 28, 2024 5:47 AM in response to els_sb

I have been unable to search my iMessages or Mail on my MacBook Air for over a year now... I tried every single suggestion made here and from other places - Nothing fixes it. I have done every update on the OS as well. As a result, I have had to download Outlook for searching email and use my iPhone when searching Messages. It is very cumbersome and inefficient. I use my MacBook Air for the work I do and, like many, I am angry, frustrated and disappointed that Apple hasn't addressed this issue, nor do they seem to acknowledge it... Instead, we get to go to forums and various websites suggested by searches to just get the same repetitive suggestions to fix it, as if we don't know how to select "mail" and "messages", uninstall an eMail Account, then reinstall, restart our computers... I have tried it all and still just get the message in mail at least when attempting a search, "indexing" followed by nothing, no matter how long I wait... Sick of this. "APPLE, THIS IS NOT USER ERROR.... FIX IT ALREADY!!!!

Sep 28, 2023 2:41 PM in response to els_sb

Hi there els_sb,

Thanks for posting. It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting already. To make sure all steps have been covered, check out the below If searching doesn’t find the right emails in Mail on Mac:

"on Mac

If you don’t get expected results when you search for email messages in the Mail app  on your Mac, try these suggestions.

• If one or more mailboxes are selected in the Mail sidebar or the  Favorites bar, Mail searches only those mailboxes. To search all mailboxes, click All Mailboxes in the sidebar.

• Mail may not be looking in the Trash or Junk mailboxes, or searching encrypted messages. To include them when searching all mailboxes, choose Mail > Settings, click General, then select the options.
  • You may need to sync the mailboxes on your Mac with those on the Mail server. Choose Mailbox > Synchronize > [account].
  • Mail may be excluded from Spotlight searching. To check, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Siri & Spotlight  in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down). Go to Search Results on the right, then select the Mail & Messages checkbox, if not already selected.
  • The Mail folder (located in your home Library folder) may be excluded from Spotlight searching. To check, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Siri & Spotlight in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down). Click Spotlight Privacy on the right, then if Mail is listed, select it and click the Remove button ."

We hope that helps!

Take care.

Apr 2, 2024 10:08 AM in response to ddtmm

Thank you for this, worked like a charm and took a whole 2 seconds to do. For those who don't know "Terminal" is an app you will find in your Utilities Folder (Applications > Utilities). You launch it, type in the first command [you must type exactly or it won't work]:

sudo mdutil -a -i off

Once done it will ask for your admin password. Type that in and it will then do the process. When it's done, next you will type in:

sudo mdutil -a -I on

Then it will finish the process. When done close the Terminal app and try mail again. Worked perfectly for me!

Sep 29, 2023 1:07 AM in response to ryane77

Hi, all of this I did before and this did not work.

What did help in the end (I found it somewhere else) was to go to the library folder in finder, and delete the 3 envelope folders in the mail and maildata folders. I can not understand how apple is not fixing such a major glitch for months, with a few updates already gone by.

Jan 18, 2024 5:56 PM in response to mrzool

We have been going through a few months of this problem and restarting or rebuilding the indexes fixed the problem on a few of our Macs except for one Mac, which still persists with issues. That is, restarting indexing in terminal fixes the issue but only for anywhere between hours and a perhaps a day.

Here's a bizarre thing we noticed. If this user boots his Mac with WiFi disabled and no ethernet, indexing works fine, and often continues to work fine after enabling network connectivity. If he boots with either WiFi or ethernet enabled (or both), no indexing. But wait, it gets better. Indexing only fails on our office network. Has never failed when he's at home, tethering, or on any other WiFi network. I can't see how it could be our office router or access points (all are Unifi) as every other Mac on the network is fine (about 25 Macs).

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out.

Search function in apple mail does no longer werk since update Ventura, even after most recent version update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.