Related Article: About Stolen Device Protection for iPhone

I can’t turn Stolen Device Protection Off. Face ID & Passcode option just disappeared from Settings.

I turned on the Stolen Device Protection on my Iphone 13 Pro after updating it to iOS 17.3 and my home wasn’t recognized as a familiar location. Because of that now I can’t access my Apple ID. What is weird is that the Face ID & Passcode option on Settings just disappeared, which is where you go to turn SDP off. What should I do to turn SDP off?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 31, 2024 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2024 7:06 PM

I'm having the same EXACT issue. Face ID and Passcode is no longer in my settings. I need to turn off SDP.

18 replies

Apr 27, 2024 11:55 PM in response to Bmuniz7

I’m having similar issue. It won’t recognize my Face ID but I not can’t access my passwords or anything and can’t turn it off as it doesn’t recognize my face. I’m at my literal home and it’s still not working. I went to Apple Store today and they said it would be fine once I got home and would be able to turn it off but I still can’t and can’t access passwords or other settings as it won’t recognize me! No one from Apple seems to be able to know what to do! I’m so frustrated as I just want to turn it off!

Feb 24, 2024 3:12 PM in response to Bmuniz7

I figured it out:

1. Turn your VPN off.
  2. Go to Privacy & Security and turn Location Services on
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the LS list and select System Services, then scroll to the bottom again and make sure Significant Locations is on.
  4. Try to turn off Stolen Device Protection again and start the Security Delay. In my case I went to Face ID & Passcodes to do this - can you start the Security Delay another way, since your Face ID & Passcode option has disappeared?
  5. Keep waiting until you get a notification that says your phone has been registered to a Significant location and you can now turn off Stolen Device Protection.

It worked for me, first on my iPhone and then on my iPad. I hope you figure out your issue as well.

I can’t turn Stolen Device Protection Off. Face ID & Passcode option just disappeared from Settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.