Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple TV 4k 128 Super Slow WiFi Speeds

I just bought a brand new Apple TV 4k 128 yesterday and it's doing the exact same thing my 2-year old one does, it only gets 5-15mbps WiFi while everything else next to it gets over 500mbps. I have Gig internet with Xfinity and can stand right next to the Apple TV and get 1000mbps on my iPhone. It pixelates and loses connection and it's extremely frustrating. Without recommending I get a network upgrade or a new mesh system (which I don't need), does anyone have a clue why this is happening?

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 3:23 PM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2024 7:45 PM in response to djmercury1

Tangled power cords right next to the Apple TV box could be a potential source of interference. Metal parts, like from a cabinet, statue, device, or container, could shield or distort the Wi-Fi signal partially, causing interference. Nearby high power devices like a microwave or fridge could cause interference. If the Wi-Fi access point is too close, then the radio signals may not be optional. Interference may change with height. An Apple TV box at e.g. 1 ft from the floor may experience different connectivity than an iPhone at say 4.5 ft up. Something in the room is causing it, either very powerful or very close.

If you have an HDMI monitor, then you can relatively easily try moving things around to test reception, without unmounting the TV. If not for an immediate solution, then at least for confirmation.

it's doing the exact same thing my 2-year old one does.

It seems like the issue is/was not the device(s), but the environment.

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Apr 28, 2024 8:45 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for responding. I think it’s something from the environment too except there’s no tangled power cables, it’s in an entertainment center below the TV where I have a Roku that gets good signal and I’ve put my phone right next to it to test the speed like I mentioned before. No fridge or microwave anywhere close. I moved it to other TV’s in the house, same slow speeds. No clue….

Apple TV 4k 128 Super Slow WiFi Speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.