Impossible to use eSIM only, workaround possible by using a physical SIM but no double signal bars are visible

I recently switched from an iPhone 13 to a new iPhone 14 (iOS 17.5), I transferred most of the settings via iCloud backup, but I added the eSIM manually, via QR code.

Actually seems the eSIM is correctly setup but the first symptom there is something wrong are the signal bars (near the Wifi symbol): seems there is no signal at all.

In this condition, I'm not able to perform any call (it says call failed) but... I can receive them! People call me and the phone rings! Internet also works... 😮

If I insert a physical SIM this is the situation:

• I was expecting to see double signal bars (one for each sim) but only the physical SIM bars are displayed
  • I cannot see eSIM phone number (the business one)
  • I cannot see the "B" icon for the business sim
  • Both numbers can receive calls 👍
  • ... but I cannot choose which number I want to use to call back (if they call me to one number, this number is the one that call them back, no chance to switch)

By now I tried to reboot the phone several times, remove and re-add both physical and eSIM and so on...

Have really no idea how to solve.

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on May 15, 2024 7:02 AM

3 replies

May 15, 2024 3:58 PM in response to Bob Timmons

My carrier asked to try with a different device to check if the problem is related to my new phone.

I deleted the eSIM from new phone and tried back with the old one: it worked at the first try, so they said is my phone problem, they recommend me to perform a network reset first, if no results, do a full reset.

But after the full reset, nothing changed. I'm officially sad now.

May 15, 2024 4:32 PM in response to Scare-IT

Then, the issue appears to be defective hardware on the iPhone. Make an appointment at the Apple Store or take the phone to an authorized Apple service shop to let them run some checks and tests.

You can find list of authorized service shops in your area using this link: Find Locations

Apple will of course try to blame your carrier. So, you can say that things worked with your old phone, but not the new phone.

Impossible to use eSIM only, workaround possible by using a physical SIM but no double signal bars are visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.