Apple Watch pausing on bike workout

During a bike workout, Apple Watch Ultra pauses by itself.

Version 10.5 (21T576), model A2622

auto-pause is off.

There is no chance that something touched the buttons or the screen.

The watch did not lose contact with the wrist. When that happens, the watch asks for the pin to reactivate. It didn't ask.

The watch did not think I fell.

I caught it doing it once. I rode over a bump and my hand shook on the handlebar.

Is there a setting to prevent a shake from causing a workout pause?

Posted on May 15, 2024 3:46 PM

3 replies

May 17, 2024 8:26 AM in response to Ingo2711

There is no setting that causes action button to pause the workout.

I will repeat. There is no chance that a button was pressed.

Are you suggesting that by simply shaking the watch, it could cause a button press?

I will also repeat: the watch did not lose contact with the skin. No, I don't have tattoos.

Also, the watch does sometimes stop recording heart rate, but the heart rate gaps do not match with the workout pauses.

I have now turned off all gestures, like double tap, fist clench and such. They didn't work anyway. I haven't gone for another ride yet though. I also run, but I don't get the pausing problem on the run. Running doesn't shake the watch like biking does. BTW, the watch has given me fall alerts when shaking my hand in some ways. It says "did you fall?".

May 17, 2024 9:31 AM in response to crashandfreeze

Could be that the accessibility settings on the Apple Watch Ultra for fist clench and all other gestures caused issues in combination with the workout app and the acceleration sensor.

If you have gaps during the heart rate recording, wear the watch 1-2cm higher, away from your wrist. This worked for me and my Ultra 2, especially when running and walking outdoors.

Apple Watch pausing on bike workout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.