Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP External display randomly loses signal

Previously asked: MBP External display randomly loses signal - Apple Community

I strongly suspect the issue is with the Vava USB-C Docking device. The issue has returned with a vengeance after disappearing for nearly two months. Now it's cutting out randomly sometimes 4-5 times within 15 minutes.

What I've discovered is apps continue to run as I've lost HDMI screen in various video conference calls and I've stayed connected via audio to the meeting's end. I lost signal recently while streaming music as background noise and remained running for over 30 minutes until I reset the dock power. The keyboard pause and volume worked normally, indicating it's truly just a video signal loss.

I've ordered another brand to test. I did see other users complain about the same unit dropping ethernet repeatedly, similar to my video problem.

Will post results.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 15, 2021 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2021 11:34 AM

Update - After switching from the Vava brand to the Plugable USB-C mini docking station, I have not experienced the issue at all. This has been running almost one month to the day, so I feel fairly confident in saying the issue was due to the Vava device. The Plugable form factor is a cube as opposed to the slimmer "strip" form of the Vava. Besides that I have the same number of ports and functionality, including the all important 4K external HDMI device support!

That said I can't tell if it's the unit became defective in less than a year, or there was a driver incompatibility after an OS upgrade. Either way I'm glad the issue is gone.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2021 11:34 AM in response to XLPampaz

Update - After switching from the Vava brand to the Plugable USB-C mini docking station, I have not experienced the issue at all. This has been running almost one month to the day, so I feel fairly confident in saying the issue was due to the Vava device. The Plugable form factor is a cube as opposed to the slimmer "strip" form of the Vava. Besides that I have the same number of ports and functionality, including the all important 4K external HDMI device support!

That said I can't tell if it's the unit became defective in less than a year, or there was a driver incompatibility after an OS upgrade. Either way I'm glad the issue is gone.

MBP External display randomly loses signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.