Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple Watch Ultra- Too high calorie count problem.

Hey I got an Apple Watch Ultra last week. I plan on using it to track my exercise and general calories burnt through out the day. Before I war relying on my Iphone 13 pro. The thing I noticed is that the watch is giving me some strange data. Before I would burn about 300-500 cal from walking around town and doing some errands. Now the watch says i'm doing almost twice that without even putting the exercise mode on. It says that on a typical day I'm burning around 800-1000 cal. I really can't say that I'm doing more exercise or walking than before. Is this data correct in you opinion and if not, what can I do to make it measure more accurately?

Apple Watch Ultra

Posted on May 2, 2023 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 7:55 PM

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem. My measurements are totally accurate (height, weight, age, sex, etc) and I have calibrated it many times on walk and run activities. My old Apple Watch was measuring accurate calories that were in line with Fitbit and other activity trackers. This ultra 2 is overestimating both active and resting calories by a lot, like 1200 more per day.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2024 7:55 PM in response to s_gaitandjiev

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem. My measurements are totally accurate (height, weight, age, sex, etc) and I have calibrated it many times on walk and run activities. My old Apple Watch was measuring accurate calories that were in line with Fitbit and other activity trackers. This ultra 2 is overestimating both active and resting calories by a lot, like 1200 more per day.

May 3, 2023 5:54 PM in response to s_gaitandjiev

Hey there s_gaitandjiev,

While there's not a way to tell over Apple Support Communities if your calorie count is correct or not, we'd like to help by first making sure you get the most accurate measurements from your watch using the steps listed here: Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

If you feel that your calorie count is still not recording correctly after testing it for another day, we recommend letting Apple Support know what's been tried so far as they'll be in the best position to assist further: Get Support

Cheers!

Apr 17, 2024 1:34 PM in response to bruno75

no tracking device is accurate at measuring caloric expenditure. Several studies have measured the accuracy of these wearable devices and they all overestimate the amount of calories an individual burns per day. It is not just an Apple situation, all tracking devices have the same problem, and the estimate can be pretty far from the predicted caloric burn the device gives you. The best advice is to keep track of your weight and have a balanced diet while tracking the amount of calories you eat.

May 3, 2024 3:45 PM in response to s_gaitandjiev

I noticed when I first got my watch that because both my phone and my watch calculate steps, it doubles the amount of steps (watch+phone counted separately = 2x). Also, it counted a ton of steps when I worked out (even while recording the workout), which also added to the inaccuracy of my step count. This could be part of the problem if it’s mostly walking that’s off. When I delete the extra input from my phone and workouts, the watch is accurate with steps. I have no idea about the workout data accuracy though.

Apple Watch Ultra- Too high calorie count problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.