Ask to buy not allowing review

I am getting my child’s app requests but instead of the notification saying “review request” and giving me the options to approve or decline, it just says “view in store” and takes me to the App Store with no options to approve. It has previously worked as expected and just changed. Any help for how I can get to to work again?

Posted on May 5, 2023 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 12:32 PM

So Apple. It’s October 12,2023 and this is still an ongoing issue with parents/ guardians wanting to approve apps for our kids. I have viewed all of the comments and Apple has YET to reply or let us know you’re looking into this definite bug issue.

Please update.

49 replies

Nov 25, 2023 6:19 PM in response to Eseesee

Apple is a mess and things just get more and more buggy all the time. This functionality works at times and then stops for no apparent reason. Now, instead of getting the requests via text message, they’ve starting coming through the old way - as notifications. I previously opened a problem ticket with Apple regarding this issue but what did they do? After promising to stick with it until a resolution was reached, the tech simply waited a couple weeks and closed the ticket with no communication or resolution. And here we are months later and they fail to recognize the issue here too. SO frustrating.

Jul 21, 2023 6:49 PM in response to Eseesee

So so frustrated with this... I have tried everything I can think of and am still experiencing this. Even when I try to "approve in person" from the child's ipad, sometimes it will let me and sometimes it will not. Often I'll put in my password there and it will tell me I need to do something in settings, but it is never clear what I need to do, it just opens up to the general tabs in settings. Sometimes it won't even let me click on "approve in person"... can't wait until there is a fix for this!!!!!

May 17, 2024 9:16 AM in response to Eseesee

It’s now May, 2024. 7 months after the last user complained about this issue. And I am still experiencing the issue - for months and months now. Why do SOME of my son’s requests to approve work, and others don’t? It’s incredibly frustrating for me to have to explain to my 7 year old that, “sorry buddy - I can’t approve your request because nobody is fixing this issue. Play bother game, I guess.”

I click, “review the request”, and nothing at all happens. NOTHING. Love that Apple has this feature for us parents to review everything that our kids are trying to buy. But I’d love it even more if it actually worked - 100% of the time.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 25, 2023 2:44 AM in response to QnAmama

same here. It has been doing it off and on for months, but you can always tell when it says view in store. This means I have to ‘buy it’ even if free, then immediately cancel the download and have my kids go into my purchased items so they can download. Other times it offers the review request option.

I thought I might have been linked to in app purchases, but it’s not that either.

Apple, please fix this. Control over kids’ devices is super important and this is not a recent bug.

Apr 7, 2024 10:14 AM in response to Eseesee

I found something that works for us every time. It goes like this:

• On the childs iPad:
    • Child requests app.
    • Parent uses fingerprint to to approve it.
    • Box pops up saying approval is needed.
    • Select "ask"
  • On the parents iPad:
    • iMessage shows "View in store" rather than "Review Request"
    • Open settings
    • Select Username
    • Sign out
    • Put in iCloud password
    • Do not keep any data on the iPad, select "Sign Out"
    • Select "sign Out"
    • Wait about 5 minutes for the iPad to "copy iCloud data"
  • Back to childs iPad
    • Open settings
    • Select Username
    • Sign out
    • Put in iCloud password
    • Do not keep any data on the iPad, select "Sign Out"
    • Select "sign Out"
    • Wait about 5 minutes for the iPad to "copy iCloud data"
    • Restart iPad
  • Parents iPad
    • Restart iPad
  • Childs iPad
    • Open settings
    • Click on "Sign in to your iPad" in the upper left
    • Put in childs username
    • Put in childs password
    • Put in MFA
    • Enter iPads passcode
  • Parents iPad
    • Open settings
    • Click on "Sign in to your iPad" in the upper left
    • Put in childs username
    • Put in childs password
    • Put in MFA
    • Enter iPads passcode
  • Childs iPad
    • Open appstore
    • Child requests app.
    • Parent uses fingerprint to to approve it.
    • Box pops up saying approval is needed.
    • Select "ask"
  • Parents iPad
    • iMessage shows "View in store" rather than "Review Request"
    • Click on "Review request"
    • Click on "Approve"
  • Childs iPad
    • App downloads
    • Child finally happy! (For now)
  • Open email client and clear out the two "FindMy has been disabled" and the two "FindMy has been enabled" emails

DONE! It's that simple. /s

So we do this little dance EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Does it take over 20 minutes just to approve and install ONE SINGLE APPLE? Sure. Is it worth it? Maybe.

(Also, I chose to write out the steps rather then just "log out and back in" because of just how long it takes each time. Its not a single click and done, its a long drawn out process with different pop ups and approvals and whatnot.)

Ask to buy not allowing review

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.