icloud.com advanced data protection not alerting trusted devices for access?

I have Advanced Data Protection turned on for my iCloud account, along with Access iCloud Data on the Web.

When I login to iCloud.com from a trusted (e.g. my MacBook Pro) and try to access one of the protected apps (Notes, for example), iCloud.com will send a notification to my trusted devices (the one I'm on and my phone, for example).

If I login to iCloud.com from any other device (e.g. my Windows PC) and try to access one of the protected apps, iCloud.com shows the "Your device is giving iCloud.com temporary access to display your data." message briefly, then switches to "Your device hasn’t given access to display your data. Check that it is on and connected to the internet." without notifying any of my trusted devices (which are powered on and connected to the internet).

Any ideas why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Posted on May 11, 2023 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 10:55 AM

broken again as of Dec 2023

Similar questions

46 replies

Dec 4, 2023 1:41 PM in response to mgsisk

Looks like the issue that Apple resolved in June is back again. Same thing. ADP does not allow access to iCloud components that require your iPhone to allow access. It's déjà vu' all over again (pardon me, Yogi Berra!).

Looks like it will take another week for them to get this resolved...

iOS 17.1.2 may have done the break. The last time in June, it was after I upgraded to iOS 16.x.

Oh well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Jun 2, 2023 8:32 AM in response to waltherg

The had me remove all VPN profiles, hard start my iPhone. They wanted to have me reset the network settings but I said NOOOOOOO.... the issue isn't with my phone but with iCloud even if the services say they are up and running:

Apple - Support - System Status

Like I mentioned previously, spent now about 4 hours with 3 different 'senior level advisors', went to the Apple Store to use one of their 'plain vanilla' Mac books. Even the rep at the genius bat said it is not my device.

I refuse to turn ADP off so I am living with it for now.

May 26, 2023 10:20 AM in response to mgsisk

This started happening to me also on May 24, 2023. For about 6 months, I've been using ADP on my iPhone and Chrome browser. I've spent three hours in two sessions with Apple Senior Advisers and they keep telling me that there are no issues on the Apple servers. Well, yes, I can login to iCloud fine but any of the encrypted apps (like NOTES, PHOTOS, REMINDERS, DRIVE says the same thing. "Your device hasn’t given access to display your XXXX. Check that it is on and connected to the internet." after I specifically gave access. We tried turning off WiFi, using Safari on my iPhone. Tried all browsers: Edge, Firefox, Chrome, Canary and even in Incognito/Private mode. No luck. Tried using a different PC. Same issue. I've toggled the "Access iCloud Data on the Web" (OFF then back ON). No luck. Apple had me remove the VPN profiles, no luck. If I turn ADP off, I can get into NOTES, PHOTOS, ETC but then what's the use of ADP?

I am 100% sure that it is an iCloud server issue with encrypted apps and hope Apple will find it and fix it soon.

If any of you find the fix, do let me know.

Thanks and good luck.

May 26, 2023 2:46 PM in response to 3P1st3m1C

It’s actually really easy to confirm that this is an issue on Apple’s end. If you know how to open the Inspector in your browser of choice, inspect the page and open the Console when you get to the “Your device hasn’t given access to display your data. Check that it is on and connected to the internet.” You should see a 500 response error code in the console. 500 HTTP codes indicate an internal server error, meaning the page is trying to send out a request of some kind, but Apple’s servers are responding with some kind of server error. Clicking on the “try again” link produces the same 500 error repeatedly, indicating that the error is absolutely on Apple’s end.

Jun 1, 2023 5:47 PM in response to mgsisk

I have the same problem since about 2 weeks ago. Spoke to Apple earlier this week, they escalated to the highest level of support and took detailed data which was sent to iCloud engineering. I have a callback scheduled with them tomorrow 6/2. Hopefully they provide a solution. I'm seeing the exact same problem on my Windows PC and my Mac, doesn't matter if I use Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari. So it has to be a backend problem on the iCloud servers. I'm surprised that so few people seem to be experiencing it -- I only found one other thread on the Macrumors forum that mentions the same issue. Nobody reporting it on Reddit or anywhere else that I can find.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/access-icloud-data-on-the-web-issue-advanced-data-protection-enable.2390923/

May 26, 2023 2:54 PM in response to mgsisk

Thanks. Misery loves company. Try using the other encrypted apps like Keynote, etc and you will get cryptic errors like PAGES, NUMBERS):

APP NAME

keynote

HOSTING APP NAME

cloudos2

CLIENT TIME

Thu May 25 2023 12:27:34 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) (1685042854190)

USER AGENT

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/113.0.0.0 Safari/537.36

HOSTNAME

www.icloud.com

BUILD INFO

13A143__M13A143__en-us

SESSION ID

cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

ENVIRONMENT INFO

PROD

REPORTED ERROR TITLE

UNKNOWN

REPORTED ERROR TYPE

UNCAUGHT_EXCEPTION

LINE NUMBER

Unknown

USER APPLE ID

<hidden>

USER DSID

<hidden>

ERROR CONTEXT

undefined

May 26, 2023 2:59 PM in response to mgsisk

Inspecting, I get:

Default levels

3 Issues:

2 hidden

setup.icloud.com/set…b429-f8d7281514c6:1

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 421 (Misdirected Request)

app.js:517

Blocked autofocusing on a <input> element in a cross-origin subframe.

www.icloud.com/:1

The resource https://www.icloud.com/system/icloud.com/current/static/wallpaper.webp was preloaded using link preload but not used within a few seconds from the window's load event. Please make sure it has an appropriate `as` value and it is preloaded intentionally.

www.icloud.com/:1

The resource https://www.icloud.com/system/icloud.com/current/static/wallpaper.webp was preloaded using link preload but not used within a few seconds from the window's load event. Please make sure it has an appropriate `as` value and it is preloaded intentionally.

main.js:11

Failed parsing 'srcset' attribute value since it has an unknown descriptor.

main.js:11

Dropped srcset candidate "2x"

DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://cdn.apple-cloudkit.com/ck/2/resources/cloudkit.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for https://www.icloud.com/system/icloud.com/2316Hotfix20/en-us/main.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

Jun 1, 2023 12:38 AM in response to mgsisk

Accessing my ADP enabled iCloud worked from a desktop browser worked briefly and stopped working like for you guys around mid May. I sometimes get the “device didn’t respond” error but more often I see a 421 HTTP error in the browser logs with a mismatched redirect and end up back on the iCloud landing page. The URL that couldn’t be redirected to even holds “hot fix” parameters so my guess is they know there’s a server-side issue and are already trying to fix whatever it is.

icloud.com advanced data protection not alerting trusted devices for access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.