Fragile Macbook Air M2

Has anyone experienced cracked trackpads and chipped screens on a MacBook Air M2? My M2 is 6 months old and I have already had to replace my screen due to a chip, trackpad due to a crack, and keyboard due to an enter key that stopped working.

My M2 is in a hard shell case and I transport it in a padded backpack.

I would think that a computer designed for portability would be more robust in terms of it's durability.

I am a teacher and simply transport it from home to school and back. I use it on my desk.

This is ridiculous. Luckily I have AppleCare. They said in the future, they would have to charge me the $99.00 fee. This is ridiculous for a portable computer to be so fragile.

I can't imagine anyone using this in a rugged environment than at a desk.

My old MacBook Pro never had these issues in the 5 years I owned it. I like the MacBook Air M2 for it's speed and lightness in weight, but the sensitivity to damage is ridiculous.

Posted on May 18, 2023 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 6:56 AM

Have an M2 Air and horizontal lines began appearing about a month ago, I can’t be without this right now and now a vertical line appeared. This thing sits on a table in a house, and is closed when not in use.

Apple third party says damaged screen, no coverage, and Apple wants us to mail it in.

What a horror show.

[Edited by Moderator]

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2023 6:56 AM in response to IdeaStudios.US

Have an M2 Air and horizontal lines began appearing about a month ago, I can’t be without this right now and now a vertical line appeared. This thing sits on a table in a house, and is closed when not in use.

Apple third party says damaged screen, no coverage, and Apple wants us to mail it in.

What a horror show.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 18, 2023 7:10 AM in response to IdeaStudios.US

FWIW, I would not use a third hard case for a computer that dissipates heat through its body.

That said, I have not heard of anyone having the issues you describe. If the computer design or quality were contributing to your computer's issues, these user communities would be flooded with posts like yours.

I suspect, but it is only a guess, that your use of a third party hard case and the way you handle the computer are contributing to the problems described.

Apr 19, 2024 7:20 PM in response to IdeaStudios.US

My wife has a MacBook Air M2 and it basically is a living room couch computer. She rarely carries it anywhere. The screen bezel is cosmetically cracked just below the screen, it has an issue where the screen will just randomly go black while music or stream still plays (lots of reports of this issue around the web) and requires a hard reboot, and now, just today, the trackpad has gone completely bonkers. I have a Genius Bar appointment this weekend.

I have a ten year old MacBook Pro that is solid as a rock (dying battery tho'). I have espoused it's durability, longevity and the downright huge value of a computer that does its job for ten years without drama. The M2 Air just feels built to break, too thin, too light and too much jammed into too small of a space. I would not recommend this computer to anyone at this point.

Apr 29, 2024 5:30 PM in response to IdeaStudios.US

I've been an apple user for 10 years. My past macbook lasted 7 years before it finally had an issue. These new macbook airs are trash. I've owned one for 3 months and had the lcd randomly crack on the inside, they wanted $1000 for a new screen when I had owned it for less than a month. After a fun discussion with the manager, they agreed to replace it for free which I was happy with. Now last night, i noticed theres a crack along the bezel of the screen at the bottom. I've never dropped it, always use a protective leather sleeve and put it in a separate padded compartment in my backpack. This is disgraceful.

Apple do better.

May 18, 2023 7:11 AM in response to IdeaStudios.US

Apple devices are not indestructible and not being able to verify how yours has been treated means we as fellow users cannot make a definitive determination. They are not designed to be used under "rugged" conditions.

We have a pair of MBPs and I can tell you they require and deserve reasonably gentle care: no slamming, no dropping, no stressing, no liquids and the like.

Sep 14, 2023 11:46 AM in response to IdeaStudios.US

I experienced a spontaneous crack in the back of the screen despite handling my 6-month-old Macbook Air M2 very carefully. Although I have AppleCare, I was charged for screen replacement. I've been using Macs of various kinds (including a series of laptops) since the 1980s and have never had a problem like this. IMO the MB Air M2 is quite flimsy. Apple deleted my previous comment about this.

Sep 14, 2023 12:35 PM in response to catstein

Most likely, there was something you didn't see trapped between the screen and the keyboard. When the MBA is closed, there's practically zero space between the two. A small crack you didn't notice could have easily gotten bigger a while after the cause had been brushed away.

I always take a soft keyboard brush and brush off the keys before I close mine for the day. Mostly, that's because I tend to get crumbs everywhere and want to make sure the they don't end up in the keys but, it makes sure nothing is near the hinge, too.

Sep 19, 2023 1:47 AM in response to catstein

I had an issue where there was a small crack in the screen behind the glass within two months. The laptop 
is always stored in a protective bag and I am 100% sure that nothing has been bumped into it or anything 
has gotten in the way. However, I had an expensive repair of 829 euros. After this experience I have my 
doubts about the robustness of the MacAir M2 and I have it now 
in a protective case in a protective laptop bag...

Nov 18, 2023 7:07 AM in response to John Scott1

My 15 month old MBA’s screen module had to be replaced which costs $700 just because I carried it sideways between my armpit for a few seconds. I only weigh 100 lbs and I can’t believe that with such little pressure it would destroy the entire screen module of my MBA! Unbelievable! It was never dropped and has not even a hairline scratch to it. I have a 10 year old ASUS laptop I dropped so many times and it is still alive and kicking! MBA is a piece of trash. MBAs are all lemons. Never again!

Nov 18, 2023 9:15 AM in response to abbywabby79

I can relate to that I had a few old thick plastic notebooks that had everything happen to them but run over and never an issue. I do think sometimes this is tight tolerance issue but I’m no engineer. My daughter used a MacBook Air all through High school and college and still uses it occasionally only the battery is junk now. Of course that’s an older MacBook Air had the bigger wider bezels around screen which probably helped structural stability of screen . But now we see almost borderless screens which has to have a negative affect on support for screen

May 17, 2024 7:30 PM in response to IdeaStudios.US

I am having the same problem with only 9-10 mths old M2...the LCD is cracked easily and the repair/replacement will cost about SGD $700++ OMG....Apple....common...I have been using Apple almost for all products (iphone, macbook air early 2014, ipad) for a long time, and buy Apple again (macbook air M2) because I thought the products will be good, long lasting but sooo disappointed..this macbook air so fragile...I will never use Macbook again, and I started to think that Apple products is no longer "premium". I should read this forum before bought, let's create awareness of this Apple products!!!

May 27, 2024 6:19 PM in response to IdeaStudios.US

I had a 2018 MacBook Air for six years, but it stopped updating, so I had to get a new one. I chose the 2023-2024 MacBook Air, costing $999.00. Sadly, after just five months of daily use for my college courses, the screen developed horizontal lines. I've always taken great care of my devices and never had issues before. Apple quoted over $500 to fix it, which seemed excessive for a nearly $1,000 laptop. They offered $615 for a trade-in, so I went for it and got the warranty. Hopefully, Apple can address these screen issues or reconsider their pricing, or else customers might start looking elsewhere for better quality and support.

Fragile Macbook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.