Newsroom Update

Today, Apple announced that from 2020 through 2023, the App Store prevented a total of over $7 billion in potentially fraudulent transactions. Learn more >

Adding a phone number as a payment method

I cannot add a mobile phone payment method for the app store. The error message is “this payment method cannot be used with the itunes store. Try again using another payment method” How do i fix this, my mobile phone provider supports this payment method and it work on other phone numbers too on the same provider but just nit on my phone number. I also tried clicking on the Use different phone number and still nothing. Alo i went to the appleid.com and try adding it there but its the same error messege. My phone number does not have any restrictions or ect. How do I fix this ,i contacted my provider and apple but nothing, they sre blaming eachother for the problem

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2023 5:19 PM

Hello again stipe177,

Thank you for providing additional information. I understand that you have already tried all the suggested steps and that both Apple and your phone provider have been unable to provide a resolution, with each party blaming the other.

In situations like these where you have exhausted the troubleshooting options and both parties are not able to provide a satisfactory solution, it can be challenging to find a resolution. At this point, I recommend considering the following options:

1. Seek alternative payment methods: While it may not directly resolve the issue with adding your mobile phone number as a payment method, you can explore alternative payment methods for your App Store purchases. This could include using different credit or debit cards, prepaid App Store gift cards, or other available payment options.

2. Consider reaching out to Apple or phone provider through different channels: If you have been contacting Apple and your phone provider through phone support, you may also try reaching out to them through other communication channels. This could include submitting a support ticket through their official websites or reaching out to their social media accounts. Explaining your situation again and providing any relevant details may help in getting a different perspective or additional assistance.

I understand that this situation has been frustrating for you, and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, if both Apple and your phone provider are not able to provide a resolution, it may require further investigation or changes to their systems to address the issue.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let me know. I'm here to help in any way I can.

Best regards,

Lugab

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2023 5:19 PM in response to stipe177

Hello again stipe177,

Thank you for providing additional information. I understand that you have already tried all the suggested steps and that both Apple and your phone provider have been unable to provide a resolution, with each party blaming the other.

In situations like these where you have exhausted the troubleshooting options and both parties are not able to provide a satisfactory solution, it can be challenging to find a resolution. At this point, I recommend considering the following options:

1. Seek alternative payment methods: While it may not directly resolve the issue with adding your mobile phone number as a payment method, you can explore alternative payment methods for your App Store purchases. This could include using different credit or debit cards, prepaid App Store gift cards, or other available payment options.

2. Consider reaching out to Apple or phone provider through different channels: If you have been contacting Apple and your phone provider through phone support, you may also try reaching out to them through other communication channels. This could include submitting a support ticket through their official websites or reaching out to their social media accounts. Explaining your situation again and providing any relevant details may help in getting a different perspective or additional assistance.

I understand that this situation has been frustrating for you, and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, if both Apple and your phone provider are not able to provide a resolution, it may require further investigation or changes to their systems to address the issue.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please let me know. I'm here to help in any way I can.

Best regards,

Lugab

Jun 10, 2023 7:39 PM in response to stipe177

Hello stipe177,

Thank you for reaching out with your issue regarding adding a mobile phone number as a payment method for the App Store. I understand the frustration you're facing, and I'm here to help you resolve this.

When encountering an error message stating that the payment method cannot be used with the iTunes Store, there are a few steps you can try to fix this issue:

1. Confirm payment method compatibility: Ensure that your mobile phone provider supports the specific payment method you are trying to add. It's also worth verifying that the payment method is compatible with the iTunes Store by checking Apple's support documentation or contacting Apple Support directly (Official Apple Support).

2. Update your iOS version: Make sure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. Go to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update" to check for any available updates. If an update is available, download and install it, as it may include bug fixes or improvements that could resolve the issue.

3. Contact Apple Support: Reach out to Apple Support (Official Apple Support) again and provide them with all the details you mentioned, including the fact that your mobile phone provider supports the payment method and it works on other phone numbers on the same provider. Explain that you have tried adding it through the Apple ID website as well, but you are still encountering the error message. Apple Support should be able to investigate the issue further and provide guidance on how to resolve it.

4. Follow up with your mobile phone provider: While you have already contacted your mobile phone provider, it may be worth reaching out to them again and providing them with the specific details of the error message. Ask if they can verify if there are any restrictions or issues on their end that could be causing the problem.

Please note that the resolution to this issue may require coordination and cooperation between Apple and your mobile phone provider. Continue to follow up with both parties until a satisfactory resolution is reached.

Best regards,

Lugab

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 10, 2023 5:05 PM in response to Lugab89

Thank you,but i have already tried all that. By contacting apple they just blame it on my phone provider and by contacting my phone provider they just blame it on apple . I asked them about any restrictions and they sead there is nothing blocking acces to adding the phone number and that i shuld check with apple becouse that is not in their range of support. I tried with many different agents and it all comes to the same answer -“Contact apple” .Apple is no help either by blaming the phone provider

Adding a phone number as a payment method

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.