Why do Screen Time settings keep disappearing daily?

I am so frustrated that the settings I enter for my daughter's screen time allowance are wiped DAILY. I need to be able to rely on this system - but every day it is deleted. Downtime settings are wiped. App allowances that I set disappear regularly. I have asked in the Apple store and they don't understand it either. I have changed the password and I know its not her changing the settings herself. I've restarted my phone - updated the operatiing system etc etc etc. Tried everything. Why doesn't this system work? It is SO crucial that parents are able to have faith in this system - but it simply doesn't work. Causing endless problems in my household. Apple Community - PLEASE can you help me figure out why this isnt working?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 27, 2023 12:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2024 7:59 PM

There is no way this should be considered the best response, it in no way answers the question. The question was not how to set up screen time but how to not have to reset it every single day since it keeps resetting to factory defaults. Pretty sure the million of us with this same exact issue know how to actually set up screen time since we’re having no to do it multiple times a day right now! Apple please fix this issue!!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2024 7:59 PM in response to SravanKrA

There is no way this should be considered the best response, it in no way answers the question. The question was not how to set up screen time but how to not have to reset it every single day since it keeps resetting to factory defaults. Pretty sure the million of us with this same exact issue know how to actually set up screen time since we’re having no to do it multiple times a day right now! Apple please fix this issue!!

May 19, 2024 6:13 PM in response to SravanKrA

You're wrong and your answer doesn't help anyone. More people need to downvote it so its not an acceptable answer.

We ALL know how to set this up more or less at this point. I am a Network Engineer, so I have zero issues with configuring software. The problem is one Apple's side with retention. I can say this with 100% confidence because I ALSO have Samsung devi es and previously set my child up with an iPad to FaceTime friends and family. The Samsung tablet NEVER lost the child settings that were set in place with FamilyLink. But the iPad? Constantly loses settings and my child is playing on the tablet well past the scheduled downtime. This is unacceptable and Apple needs to address it. I'm within return window and about to take the iPad back and tell Apple to kick rocks.

Jun 27, 2023 12:29 AM in response to Screamtime

You should pay attention to two commonly overlooked aspects...

1. Configuring device restrictions for your child's device.
  2. Setting up a screen time passcode on your own device for your child.

Set Screen Time Restrictions for your Child in your Family using Parental Control.

Please see the pic below which is self-explanatory.

Set Screen Time Passcode for your child's device through your device.

Please see the pic below which is self-explanatory.

Go to Settings and tap Screen Time. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions and enter your Screen Time passcode. Tap Content Restrictions, then tap Web Content. Choose Unrestricted Access, Limit Adult Websites, or Allowed Websites Only.

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod ...

Set up parental controls with Family Sharing on iPhone

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > Family Sharing > Screen Time.
  2. Tap the name of a child in your family group, tap Turn On Screen Time, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Set up parental controls with Family Sharing on iPhone

May 23, 2024 2:38 PM in response to Screamtime

Apple apparently wants me to start another topic rather than reply to the many others who have asked basically the same question referring to various aspects of screen time:

Why do the settings I carefully set up in content restrictions stop working the next day or even sooner? What is the point of offering content restrictions if they don't STAY ON?

Who or what is turning them off?? I'm not, and i don't share my devices, have kids, or use a work server, etc (unless.... omg my CATS)

I attempted to use restrictions for my own PRIVACY -- which is a suspiciously underemphasized YET potentially most-useful aspect of Apple screen time in general -- from intrusive apps and any OTHER lurking nefarious HACKERS, including Apple.

Also: Why when i turn off device sharing (and any other sharing) and notifications in screen time settings do I still get both??

Don't send me screen time instructions. Apple knows about this obviously and isn't being transparent or is being transparent about privacy in another sneaky way. For example, making disassociating one's devices so complex it can literally wreck one's day: eg with device-sharing-dependent "verification issues". Or it by stating that location sharing is optional, but it clearly isn't really. Or in the case of SCREEN TIME it convolutes the wording of the settings just as it does with request to track settings: toggling one disables something else eventually.

Also: Screen time should enable users to disable account access (without expiring on its own!!) with a personal password to avoid some of the problems we now have to wait to get updates for which undoubtedly introduce some other back door privacy-evading tactic. No kidding! The more I attempt to restrict my privacy from these digital pirates the more evident it becomes that it's only in users' best interest -- which is of no interest to these pirates. And they treat users like the parasites! This is all just an offshoot of cell phone/device purification from the onset: a textbook case of drug-dealer marketing tactics run by greedy, proprietary cartels who don't care how much time you waste trying futile ways to protect yourself from them.

Why do Screen Time settings keep disappearing daily?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.