"iMessage needs to be enabled" ???

Out of the blue, same phone, same carrier, same plan. Can't send photos all of a sudden, says "iMessage needs to be enabled." It IS. I've turned it on and off; I've shut down and restarted the phone; what gives?

iPhone XS.

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 6:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 4:21 PM

Good things to try but it didn’t help in my case. I’m trying to send one still image and one 10 second video. The alert still tells me to enable iMessage. It is enabled. I’ve done all thing asked above. I’m sending to an android phone. This happens to me frequently, but not always, when sending to an android from my iPhone 15. Any other suggestions?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2024 4:21 PM in response to mikeg28806

Good things to try but it didn’t help in my case. I’m trying to send one still image and one 10 second video. The alert still tells me to enable iMessage. It is enabled. I’ve done all thing asked above. I’m sending to an android phone. This happens to me frequently, but not always, when sending to an android from my iPhone 15. Any other suggestions?

Apr 15, 2024 5:17 PM in response to mikeg28806

So if I don’t have enough storage, why don’t I get a message to that effect?

It is lazy of Apple and somewhat infuriating that you error messages are inaccurate (iMessage IS enabled) and that we have to search the web for non-answers such as this.

My iMessage worked perfectly on a group chat until it didn’t. I’ve turned it off and on again, restarted the phone etc. Ans I still get the completely inaccurate message that I need to enable it.

Do better. You can afford it.

Jul 31, 2023 2:56 PM in response to theresafrompasadena

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities theresafrompasadena,

The below information from the following resource may provide a solution: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad

• Try to restart your iPhone or iPad.
  • Check your network connection. To send a message as iMessage or MMS, you need a cellular data or Wi-Fi connection. To send an SMS message, you need cellular network connection. If you turn on Wi-Fi Calling, you can send SMS messages over Wi-Fi.
  • Check with your carrier to see if the type of message you’re trying to send, like MMS or SMS, is supported.
  • If you’re trying to send group MMS messages on an iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and turn on MMS Messaging. If you don't see an option to turn on MMS Messaging or Group Messaging on your iPhone, then your carrier might not support this feature.
  • Make sure that your device has enough space to receive images and videos.
  • Make sure that you entered the correct phone number or email address for the contact.

Learn what to do if you see a Waiting for Activation alert

Contact Apple Support if you still can't send or receive messages

Contact your carrier if you still can't receive SMS messages

Deactivate iMessage if you switched to a non-Apple phone and have issues with messaging

We hope this helps!

"iMessage needs to be enabled" ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.