Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

unable to purchase This item is for an app that was purchased by

I'm trying an in app purchase but it says, "unable to purchase This item is for an app that was purchased by a different Apple ID. To buy this item with this Apple ID, you must first purchase the app."

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 8:39 AM

To me that is somewhat self-explanatory. You are trying to buy something that requires an app to use it beut the copy of hte app you have was downloaded with a different Apple account form the one you are using now. Delete your copy and purchase a copy of the app with your account.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2023 8:39 AM in response to white148

To me that is somewhat self-explanatory. You are trying to buy something that requires an app to use it beut the copy of hte app you have was downloaded with a different Apple account form the one you are using now. Delete your copy and purchase a copy of the app with your account.

Aug 10, 2023 10:06 AM in response to white148

white148 wrote:

Wait.. what ? I don’t understand what u r trying to say

Apps can be purchased by different Apple IDs.

Your app here was purchased by a different Apple ID. You can either use the same original Apple ID used for the purchase of this app, or can delete the app from your device and repurchase and re-download it from the Apple ID you want to use and can then purchase this add-in.

You’re (intentionally or otherwise) mixing Apple ID purchases of apps, and which usually gets messy around updates. This is also why acquiring an iPhone from another person without resetting it gets messy, too.

unable to purchase This item is for an app that was purchased by

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.