AirTag battery replaced but still reads low even though battery doesn't have bitterant

My AirTag was still showing low battery even after replacing the battery (with a battery with no bitterant).

The way I got rid of the 'low battery' label was to go to the Find My app and remove the item, then reactivate it:

1. Go to item in Find My
  2. Swipe to the left on the item, then tap on the trashcan, tap on Remove.
  3. Now, with the new battery in place, just reactivate the AirTag and relink it to your Apple ID.

AirTag

Posted on Aug 15, 2023 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 11:37 PM

Christiaans solution worked fine so thank you. But there is something odd here. I have 6 AirTags which I use in various pieces of luggage when I travel. Today I had to replace two batteries. The first AirTag went just fine. The second AirTag I had to follow Christiaans solution. Why the difference? Two batteries from the same pack. Same person me. Same iMac and same iPad searching and finding the AirTag. But replacing the batteries in the two AirTags not the same. Odd. Do AirTags come from different batches with subtly different electronics in them?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2024 11:37 PM in response to Christiaan

Christiaans solution worked fine so thank you. But there is something odd here. I have 6 AirTags which I use in various pieces of luggage when I travel. Today I had to replace two batteries. The first AirTag went just fine. The second AirTag I had to follow Christiaans solution. Why the difference? Two batteries from the same pack. Same person me. Same iMac and same iPad searching and finding the AirTag. But replacing the batteries in the two AirTags not the same. Odd. Do AirTags come from different batches with subtly different electronics in them?

May 20, 2024 7:54 AM in response to Christiaan

Easiest thing to do when replacing your batteries is to take the old battery out, wait 5 minutes, and then put the new battery in. The low battery message won’t be there if you do it that way. For some reason if you immediately replace the battery it still shows low (but I’m told over a period of time the battery status will update on its own). So again to avoid all of this, just wait 5 minutes before putting the new battery in.

Mar 16, 2024 9:50 AM in response to PicolinaZ

Christian's solution worked for me: "The way I got rid of the 'low battery' label was to go to the Find My app and remove the item, then reactivate it:

1. Go to item in Find My
  2. Swipe to the left on the item, then tap on the trashcan, tap on Remove.
  3. Now, with the new battery in place, just reactivate the AirTag and relink it to your Apple ID."

AirTag battery replaced but still reads low even though battery doesn't have bitterant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.