Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Since installing Sonoma, Preview says "The document ... could not be saved" after editing.

I scan my receipts. I then open the scanned jpg file with Preview to crop the image and save it. Since installing Sonoma on my 2020 MacBook Pro (Intel), after I crop the image, I am unable to save it. Preview gives no explanation. It just pops up a dialog saying

The document “myreceipt.jpg” could not be saved. 

This seems to happen in any directory. I don't think this is a permissions problem. The permissions for myreceipt.jpg were -rw-r--r--@. I even changed them to -rw-rw-rw-@ to no effect. (I even made the directory readable/writable to group and other -- no help.) And I applied the suggested (dubious) procedure in (The file couldn’t be saved because you do… - Apple Community) with no effect.

Suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 3:52 PM

I have the same issue. But it isn't just Preview, Preview, GIMP, and Photos all are unable to save an edited image. They all give the same error.

Similar questions

24 replies

Oct 10, 2023 1:27 PM in response to RussInMM

Another update: I apparently did successfully use Preview several times since September 16, which I thought correlated with the Preview update. But the bug does seem to be correlated with the Sonoma update -- I'm guessing there's some library that Preview uses that got updated with Sonoma, and Preview can no longer deal with certain JPEG color models. My Brother printer/scanner offers several color model configurations (24 bit color; "True Gray", "Gray (error diffusion)", and "Black & White"), but Preview can now only save edited files having 24 bit color.

(Or did Preview get updated along with Sonoma? I thought only the OS partition gets updated with an OS update.)

Mar 31, 2024 2:32 AM in response to RussInMM

TL;dr I am having a similar problem and found the solution for me is to use 8 bit grayscale for all black and white scans that are photos or negatives.

My story follows:

I am scanning old black and white negatives with an epson scanner set for 16 bit grayscale. Sonoma Preview Version 11.0 (1056.5.1) can open and view the scans but refuses to save them with any edits. All I want to do is rotate them or flip them since the scanner scans negatives backwards and sideways if they are landscape view. After exporting them as-is and reopening them Sonoma Preview still refuses to save them so that didn't work.

Ventura Preview Version 11.0 (1044.2) opens views and saves after rotation so I can always use that on my MacBook Pro to do the editing but I shouldn't have to. Also, Monterey Preview Version 11.0 (1033.4.1) works just fine. I have this running on my scanning station and I can make the edits there if needed but again, I shouldn't have to.

So, I have used GraphicConverter (great program that I plan to buy after testing) to open and flip them or rotate them and it saves just fine.....hmmmm must just be Sonoma Preview Version 11.0 (1056.5.1) has a bug. All of these recent negatives were scanned with 16 bit gray output. Hmmmm.

The Solution for me: I then tried using GraphicConvert to change them to 8 bit gray and voila...Sonoma Preview Version 11.0 (1056.5.1) will open edit and save them just fine. So, I just scanned a negative using 8 bit grayscale output and sure enough, Sonoma Preview will save them just fine after flipping or rotating.

So, for me anyway, the answer is to only use 8 bit gray for all black and white negatives and photographs if I want to continue to use Preview to manipulate them. I never saw this problem until I got a new scanner and was messing around with the output setting and chose 16 bit gray for a few of my scans. Apparently, all my old scans from my old scanner were already 8 bit grayscale.

I am hoping this helps someone else with this arcane bug. See the screenshots below for the info from Preview.

Happy Day!

This one will NOT save:

This one WILL save:

Oct 10, 2023 10:28 AM in response to RussInMM

For some reason, I'm unable to edit my post. I have significant additional info:

I have confirmed that this is not a permissions issue. It may be a bug in Preview 11.0, though: When I imported the jpg file with Photos and exported it again, the exported file can then be cropped in Preview and saved.

I have always configured my scanner to take a grayscale image of receipts, and the Preview inspector says that my original scanned preview jpg file is set up for Color model: Gray, and ColorSync profile: Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile.

After import/export from Photos, the resulting jpg is Color model: RGB, ColorSync profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1.

So, perhaps Preview Version 11.0 (1056) has a bug with respect to certain JPEG color model configurations? And this has nothing to do with Sonoma, as it's quite possible I haven't used Preview since it got updated on my system on September 16, 2023.

Oct 10, 2023 2:55 PM in response to RussInMM

OK. Sorry. Apple likes to hide stuff to simplify things for average users. Now I see that Finder sneaks System apps into the /Applications folder. No links, symbolic or otherwise. Just nasty subterfuge. Command line "ls" makes clear that Preview.app actually lives only in /System/Applications/. So it did get updated via Sonoma. And Time Machine cannot resurrect it -- I would have to roll back to Ventura.

Ugh.

Oct 11, 2023 8:10 AM in response to RussInMM

I have a similar problem, I use Preview ( version 11.0 [1056] ) to add script to my photos. Since Sonoma........

Preview is not accepting new photos, it will not open at all with them !!

The work around I found is to shut my computer down and restart in a few minutes . If trying to

open a photo , then It must be the first thing I do . When I come back with another photo after doing something else , it again does not work .

Is there a more efficient work around ??

Nov 11, 2023 5:30 AM in response to RussInMM

Preview Version 11.0 (1056)

MacOS (Sonoma) 14.0 (23A344)

I am experiencing the same problem. I was able to export a JPG to PDF from Preview and then export from Preview back to JPG (which is a pain) but not resize it (which is what I was doing). I was able to resize the JPG using ImageMagick from the Shell prompt, so it's not a defect in the JPG format. It seems clear enough this is a MAJOR defect in the Preview app that comes with Sonoma. Surprizing that Apple has not fixed this defect in over a month.

Dec 3, 2023 7:44 PM in response to Cerastez

Okay, I don't know if I am just the lucky one, but in the last couple of weeks or so every thing has been back to working fine, in Preview and iPhoto , at least for my purposes. Other than keeping updated I haven't done anything special. I can edit photos , add text and save.

Wishing everyone the same !!!

Dec 11, 2023 4:49 AM in response to Cerastez

Same issue here, in Preview, via Macbook Pro 14" M2, Sonoma 14.1.2 : cannot save or export any formats, except PDF. And can export from PDF, back to JPEG, which then can be saved with changes in Preview. This issue happens only with greyscale. I also scan via Brother's "iPrint&Scan".

I can scan greyscale via Apple's "Image Capture.app" and edit in Preview and save, so there must either be a conflict between Brother's app (which is an Intel app and not native Apple Silicon app) and Preview. I can save in GIMP, but the resulting JPEG can't be edited and saved in Preview.

If any of you, can't save edited files (except PDF) and don't use Brother's "iPrint&Scan", then this is a Apple Preview bug- otherwise it's a Brother issue.

Before I report to Apple, please respond, if you don't use Brother's "iPrint&Scan" and have this issue and tell which scanning software you use. If you do use Brother's "iPrint&Scan", try using "Image Capture.app" and scan as greyscale, edit in Preview and save. Report back!

Since installing Sonoma, Preview says "The document ... could not be saved" after editing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.