Since iTunes movies moved to the Apple TV app I can no longer see descriptions of the movies, they just play.

My family group has thousands of movies. Under iTunes I could look at descriptions of a movie to decide what to watch. Now under Apple TV it just plays them. I have to select a movie knowing only the name and start playing it then pause it and go to info. One giant backwards for mankind. I am using an Apple TV 4K 3rd gen but the ha4dware is not the issue. It is a Apple TV app.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Dec 21, 2023 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 9:28 AM

Actually if you own the movie you cannot view the description in the Store either. The only way is on another device.

From the Library tab view, it seems to start movies without showing the Details page, but the same titles in the Store tab will show the Details page for me, including descriptions and trailers. It won’t show the (current) buy/​rent price for already purchased items, though.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Vancouver22

Actually if you own the movie you cannot view the description in the Store either. The only way is on another device.

From the Library tab view, it seems to start movies without showing the Details page, but the same titles in the Store tab will show the Details page for me, including descriptions and trailers. It won’t show the (current) buy/​rent price for already purchased items, though.

Dec 21, 2023 7:18 PM in response to roverdog

Well it doesn’t hurt to submit Feedback. I did about this because I sometimes just want it to go to the main screen where I have it lined up to play when I feel like it, once I’m ready to sit down and watch. Others might need to see languages, resolution, etc. it really is something they overlooked. They do read the feedback and might consider changing it. It’s the only way to tell the Apple TV engineers directly. The feedback form has choices like bug fixes or suggestions, usability, etc. What you’re asking for isn’t unreasonable.

Until they restore this (if they do) you will have to search for the titles in the Store to read descriptions.

Dec 21, 2023 5:45 PM in response to Vancouver22

Yes purchased movies by people in my family group. Many of them I did not buy but people in my group did, so I don’t know what the movie is about unless it was a high profile movie when it was released. In iTunes movies I could click on one and it would show a description and sometimes play a trailer. The Apple TV app does not have this feature which I think was very useful. Without it finding something to watch is very tiresome and I often give up and go to another streamer. I don’t expect Apple would care since they already got their money when the movie was purchased and it reduces the load on their servers. Probably the whole point of getting rid of iTunes.

Dec 22, 2023 1:05 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Well now it’s making a liar out of me. I checked quite a few last night and there was no description. Just checked a few again and there is a description. Oppenheimer for example, when I checked last night, it went straight to the main screen that has Extras & Play, etc. I would still like to be able to see all information from my purchased in Library though.

May 17, 2024 4:17 PM in response to Vancouver22

You can see the description if you use the search feature in this disgrace of an Apple TV update… then, even if you own the movie you can see the information page, trailers, etc.

But what a super annoying workaround. I’d expect this kind of bad design from anyone bad Apple. Yet, here we are.

I’m downloading ATV 17.5 now, but I doubt it will repair the damage Apple has done, as I understand it’s only a minor update with no new features.

May 29, 2024 11:40 PM in response to roverdog

@roverdog,

You are 100% right. Apple really missed the boat with the disconnected, disfunctional, user experience nightmare they call Apple TV App. I can go on and on but I’ll provide a very simple solution here for the community here.

The best and quickest option I have found is to use Siri to voice search the movie, upon selecting it from the search results you are dropped into the movie information screen. From there you can review descriptions, cast, related content, etc. If you own the movie you can also play it from that content detail screen and or see where else it might be available in other apps like Hulu, Prime, etc.

@apple here is a very simple solution. When browsing content within the user library, long press the select button on apple tv remote to provide the user with an option list;

Play from Beginning

Resume

View Details

Add to Up Next

Remove

I hope this helps.

[Edited by Moderator]

Since iTunes movies moved to the Apple TV app I can no longer see descriptions of the movies, they just play.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.