Can you use another microphone (wired or wireless/Bluetooth) with Voice Control?

I have this problem with each of my devices - iPhone 15 Pro Max, iPad Air, and iMac:

Voice Control in Accessibility only accepts commands or dictation from the device’s built-in microphone.

I bought the only microphone I could find that, in effect, mutes the sound of my voice so that those around me do not hear what I am saying. It is the Privo by Talk Technologies (https://talktech.com/shop/stenomask-store/privo-wireless/), by a company that makes microphones for court reporters to use to dictate quietly in courtrooms. (I tried their wired microphone first; it did not work at all with voice control, though it did work with various apps. I was advised that Voice Control should work with Bluetooth, so I returned the wired version and invested in the Privo)

The Privo works just fine for phone calls, and for dictation in apps such as Notes, Pages, etc. Yet when I turn on Voice Control, the software does not recognize the Privo even though it shows as connected in Bluetooth settings. It seems that the voice control software only listens through the device’s microphone.

Is there a way to use Voice Control with a microphone that is not built in?

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 8, 2024 11:24 AM

6 replies

Jan 8, 2024 5:05 PM in response to MamaVetta01

Re: Is there a way to use Voice Control with a microphone that is not built in?

Apple support's article: Change Voice Control settings for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

says to choose the microphone you want to use:

choose Apple menu > System Settings, click Accessibility in the sidebar, then click Voice Control on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)

Option: Microphone

Choose the microphone to use to speak commands to your Mac.

If you choose Automatic from the pop-up menu, your Mac listens to the device you’re most likely to use for speaking commands.

Am no expert in this area, so hope this is helpful to you :-)

_________

If needed:

You may want to contact Apple's Accessibility Support Team:

How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

or

Apple's Accessibility Support Website

(NB: You can also "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

Jan 8, 2024 9:37 PM in response to MamaVetta01

From the link that you provided:

says:

"Privo is compatible with IOS and Android smartphones, tablets, computers or any wireless microphone enabled device".

and also says:

"Headphone jack: Compatible with any standard 3.5 mm. headphone. Single earbud included"

and

"WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY: Bluetooth 5.0"

So seems you can plug into the headphone jack on iPhone

or

For using BlueTooth: Apple support's online article may be helpful:

How toi: Pair a third-party Bluetooth accessory with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

To contact the "Privo" Tech Support Team : https://talktech.com/support-request/

Jan 9, 2024 6:57 AM in response to brbo

The Privo does have wireless connectivity as well as a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

The Privo works well on all devices for everything EXCEPT Voice Control on iOS, and what I need it for is iOS accessibility Voice Control, for example to use iPhone or iPad quietly (and without my hands) during a meeting or conference, or when taking notes on a private consultation when I’m in a not-so-private place.

yes, I have contacted Privo Tech Support … and the problem seems unique to apple’s iOS Voice Control software as the Privo works just fine with other iOS apps

Can you use another microphone (wired or wireless/Bluetooth) with Voice Control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.