ALL music stuttering while connected to cellular data (Apple Music/Spotify)

When using Spotify or Apple Music while connected to cellular data, the songs constantly stutter and skip (like CDs used to do back in the day). I have tried EVERYTHING and nothing will fix it. It doesn’t happen while connected to WiFi.

1. It was a problem with my iPhone 12 and it is also doing it with my new iPhone 15 Plus - so it’s not the device.
  2. It happens while streaming songs and with downloaded songs on Apple Music & Spotify. I can even turn on “offline” and it still happens, which is bizarre, unless it’s somehow still trying to communicate with a server somewhere?
  3. It happens regardless of the audio or playback settings (I’ve tried them all)
  4. It happens while connected to T-Mobile, Verizon, and Boost cellular data services - so it’s not carrier related
  5. I’ve tried resetting and erasing my iPhone 12 when I had it and I did the same with my iPhone 15 plus and it doesn’t help
  6. I did a fresh iOS install with no backup and it doesn’t help
  7. It has been a problem with multiple iOS versions, but I’m currently using iOS 17.4
  8. I have 64.82GB available on my device, so that’s not the issue
  9. All data saver settings are turned off, so that is not the issue
  10. I’ve removed unnecessary apps and stopped background processes
  11. Restarting the device will help for a few minutes sometimes, but it’s hit & miss
  12. The cellular signal is full on LTE/5G/5Guw
  13. It happens while listening through the iPhone speakers, Bluetooth connected to a vehicle, and through Apple Airpods
  14. It doesn’t matter if Apple Music or Spotify is open or running in the background
  15. It is not isolated to a certain city. It happens where I live now, it happened in Iowa and it happened in Arizona. It also happened during both of my moves driving from Iowa to Arizona and Arizona to Kansas.
  16. All apps and everything on the device is updated

Doing a Google search reveals numerous other people complaining of similar issues, although explained differently since it’s difficult to explain. Many describe it as glitching, stuttering or skipping like a CD.

There’s clearly some kind of problem and it seems from all of the replies I’ve read, no one seems to know why, nor have a fix, and Apple doesn’t acknowledge anything.

Can someone shed some light on this please before I dump Apple and switch to Android, because it’s maddening being unable to listen to music without it glitching/stuttering/cutting out constantly!

Thanks

iPhone 15 Plus, iOS 17

Posted on Feb 3, 2024 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2024 5:03 PM

Wanted to chime in and say the same. iPhone 12 Pro Max, resisted updating to 17 for a long time but things are starting to require it for those vague "reasons."

Streaming music on Bluetooth was fine on 16 and below, but it's totally useless on 17. Cuts in and out constantly, and it's not notifications that interrupt it. I figured something would break with with the updates eventually, I'm just unhappy that it's one of the more useful features of the device.

I'm not going to wear out my cables and connectors plugging and unplugging the thing a dozen times a day.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2024 5:03 PM in response to steveneonline

Wanted to chime in and say the same. iPhone 12 Pro Max, resisted updating to 17 for a long time but things are starting to require it for those vague "reasons."

Streaming music on Bluetooth was fine on 16 and below, but it's totally useless on 17. Cuts in and out constantly, and it's not notifications that interrupt it. I figured something would break with with the updates eventually, I'm just unhappy that it's one of the more useful features of the device.

I'm not going to wear out my cables and connectors plugging and unplugging the thing a dozen times a day.

Feb 14, 2024 10:58 AM in response to steveneonline

02/14/2024 Update

After some additional research, it appears that this issue is related to Bluetooth. It seems to be something with iOS because this glitching and stuttering is happening when connected to my vehicle and also when connected to my Airpods, although it's much worse with my vehicle. I'm assuming my vehicle has outdated firmware which could be part of the issue, but that doesn't explain why it happens with the Airpods.

I tried disconnecting and deleting all Bluetooth devices from iOS and my vehicle to reset everything, but it is still a problem.

I discovered it was Bluetooth related because I bought a 3.5mm to USB-C adapter and didn't have the problem in my vehicle.

ALL music stuttering while connected to cellular data (Apple Music/Spotify)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.