mail keeps moving text around and repeating sentences

Mail keeps reformatting sentences, I will write and go to edit and it will sometimes replace words and sentences from previous paragraphs into the current one- has anyone else had this happen? Or know a fix? I have rebuilt the mailbox. thank you

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.3

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 9:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2024 2:31 PM

This is wild. Are you actually not allowed to mention other Mail clients on mac forums? This is the kind of thing that turns me away from Apple.

Of course, NOTHING turns me away from apple like a new OS breaking one of the most basic functions I have used computers for FOR DECADES without an immediate fix. Like, how does Apple expect professionals to buy their computers when they release an update that just breaks email and makes me look stupid to my coworkers?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2024 2:31 PM in response to Derek Currie

This is wild. Are you actually not allowed to mention other Mail clients on mac forums? This is the kind of thing that turns me away from Apple.

Of course, NOTHING turns me away from apple like a new OS breaking one of the most basic functions I have used computers for FOR DECADES without an immediate fix. Like, how does Apple expect professionals to buy their computers when they release an update that just breaks email and makes me look stupid to my coworkers?

Feb 5, 2024 1:22 AM in response to wanderingk

Known issue introduced into Mail with Sonoma 14.3

At the moment we can only suggest a workaround by preparing the e-mail in a Text Based Editor

Then, copy and past into a blank e-mail

Not doubt with all the possible reports set to Apple, it maybe fixed in some updated version of Sonoma

Just when that may be, sorry only Apple would know.

Feb 6, 2024 6:40 AM in response to wanderingk

I've had the same problem since sometime in January 2024. The only fix I've found is to draft the email and not worry when stuff moves or one sentence overwrites another. When you are finished writing the email, select your text, copy the selection, and paste over the selected text. For some unknown reason, the text returns to what you wrote without errors.

If your text becomes such a mess while drafting that you have trouble finishing the composition, do the same copy/paste routine, and then keep composing. Sometimes I do this multiple times in one email.

Also try to "force quit" Mail and restart the computer. That seems to temporarily fix--or at least reduce--the problem, although it will come back.

Bill

Feb 6, 2024 2:17 PM in response to wanderingk

Yes, I’ve just been doing the write, move over to text editor, or compose in text editor and cut and paste. I was glad to find that it wasn’t just me, I searched originally but didn’t find the large thread on garbled text that is in these forums, so thank you all for answering me so quickly.

I will wait as others are. Theres no way I’m going through the reinstall. I’ve been down that road too many times with necessity to go through it for a bug that apple should be fixing much quicker than it is. And I’ve done it with the support at various times to no avail. So I hope it will be sorted sooner rather than later.

But it’s rare these days, in my experience, that apple does something gracious or customer centred. She says, having a little dig after 30 years of apple loyalty with not much in return. ;)

Feb 27, 2024 8:21 AM in response to wanderingk

What seems to "fix" it for me is adjusting the size of the draft email window. For example, if I start typing a sentence which Mail then changes automatically, I simply stop typing for a moment and then adjust the window's size slightly. This then causes the text to refresh back to what I was actually typing instead of what it tried to change it to.

Mar 16, 2024 5:44 AM in response to mackos1

Interesting "fix." And maybe you have a clue to help the Apple coders who seem to need all the help they can get. I'll try it - having trusted myself to write coherent emails for years, I don't always review before I send out. I wonder how many garbled emails I've sent in the past month or so. The problem I'm having with Mail is that not only do sentences from previous paragraphs show up repeatedly and apparently randomly, they overwrite text I want to be there. Then I have to reconstruct everything. And in doing the reconstruction, more errors appear. Very strange indeed.

May 8, 2024 10:30 AM in response to wanderingk

I am having the same issue. When I type, the previous paragraph or a sentence from the previous paragraph is pasted onto the current text. I thought this was a setting, but it's the most annoying bug I have ever encountered.

I am glad I found this forum because I thought I was going CRAZY.

For reference I am currently on macOS Sonoma 14.3 (23D56), 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9.

I hope this gets fixed soon and can anyone confirm if this happens on non-intel processing macs. Curious if the software is different.

May 16, 2024 3:18 PM in response to wanderingk

I'm having the same issue, it takes me three times as long to write an email in Apple Mail because my text keeps reformatting. It's extremely frustrating when writing long client emails to read back and see that sentences are being duplicated multiple times and then I have to delete multiple times, and re write.

Writing emails in another platform IS NOT THE FIX APPLE!!!!!

Feb 5, 2024 1:42 AM in response to wanderingk

1. Text Encoding and Formatting:

Sometimes, issues with how text is encoded or formatted can lead to unexpected reformatting or jumbling of content within emails. This can be especially noticeable when pasting text from different sources or when using special characters.

2. Compatibility Settings:

Depending on the email client you're using, there may be compatibility settings that affect how emails are displayed and edited. It could be worth reviewing these settings to see if they are contributing to the issue.

3. Rebuild Mailbox:

Rebuilding the mailbox, as you've already tried, is a good first step. However, you might also consider resetting Mail's preferences to default to rule out any specific setting causing these issues.

Potential Solutions:

1. Plain Text Mode:

Consider composing your emails in plain text mode, especially for critical or official correspondences. This can help reduce the likelihood of unexpected text formatting issues, since plain text doesn't carry any formatting information to interfere with the message content.

2. Update Mail App:

Make sure your Mail app is up to date. Software updates often include bug fixes and performance improvements that could address unexpected behavior within the application.

3. Alternative Email Client:

In the short term, while you're troubleshooting, you might consider using an alternative email client to see if the issue persists. There are several third-party email clients that provide additional features and might offer a more stable text editing experience.

4. Copy Paste Method:

When copying and pasting text into your emails, try using the "Paste and Match Style" option, if available. This can help ensure that any copied text doesn't carry over unwanted formatting or encoding issues.

5. Contact Apple Support:

If the issue continues to persist despite these efforts, and especially if it appears to be a system-wide issue rather than being specific to a single email account, reaching out to Apple Support could provide valuable insights on troubleshooting and potential fixes related to the Mail app on macOS 14.3.

I hope these suggestions help iron out those pesky formatting glitches in your emails!

Feb 12, 2024 2:38 PM in response to wanderingk

I empathize with your experience. At this point I'm stuck with Mac OS because of the software I need to do the work I do, but because of exactly the reasons you mentioned, I've just decided to not give apple any more of my money. I buy all of my apple accessories used through third party retailers, and I just replaced my 2014 MBP with a 2023 MBP refurbished by a third party. Feels great, no issues yet at all, and thousands of dollars saved.

mail keeps moving text around and repeating sentences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.