Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Vision Pro problems with IOL implants

I have read and understand everything at the link:

Using Apple Vision Pro with vision prescriptions and vision conditions - Apple Support

But I could use community support testing a possible condition not mentioned in that link.

My problem is that, while almost everything is incredibly fabulous, overhead stars are shown in tripod shape instead of single points.

My theory is that these effects are caused by reflections bouncing around inside my eyeball off the IOL implants that I got with cataract surgery, rather than any defect in the Vision Pro device lenses. (Yes, I went back to the Apple store and saw a repeat of the same problem when looking for it with another demo unit, which is why I didn't return or exchange mine as defective.)

To prove or disprove the theory, I need input from other Vision Pro users who have had cataract surgery.

in the Sky Guide app, does everyone who has IOLs from cataract surgery see stars as single points of light, or some other problem like the tripods I see?

I see ordinary points of light looking up at the real night sky, and even looking at stars on TV, but in the Vision Pro every star is surrounded by and thinly connected to three matching adjacent points of light.

Thanks in advance for feedback from multiple users who have had cataract surgery since, if this is an IOL problem, it may depend on the brand and type of IOL.

Apple Vision Pro

Posted on Mar 5, 2024 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2024 6:43 AM

I have IOL implants and downloaded the Sky Guide app to compare with your experience. Bottom line: the stars look like single points of light, not tripod shaped. Probably a moot point since you apparently returned your AVP. A hypothetical v. 2 of the AVP may not make any difference for you. I have no theories why you experience this.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2024 6:43 AM in response to wkrasl

I have IOL implants and downloaded the Sky Guide app to compare with your experience. Bottom line: the stars look like single points of light, not tripod shaped. Probably a moot point since you apparently returned your AVP. A hypothetical v. 2 of the AVP may not make any difference for you. I have no theories why you experience this.

May 2, 2024 7:21 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Thanks for the question. I asked my cataract doc if there were IOL connectings to hold it in place inside my eye and he said, no, the connections are bilateral. There is no explanation at all unless it is part of the lens design itself. I got the very $5,000 expensive lens that can be adjusted after being implanted, using bright UV lights to reshape it to get 20-15 perfect vision before locking it into place.

So, every star is literally a tripod. I used MS paint to recreate the effect. See image. It is absolutely wierd.

May 2, 2024 6:56 AM in response to David Strait

Thanks David. You didn't mention whether you get reflected glare with the Sky Guide. Please let me know what happens for you when you swing your head around to look above, below, left, and right of the menu. I am having a hard time believing nobody else has even a hint of this problem.

I had forgotten about the tripod stars, which is interesting but not a deal breaker like the glare. But this also has to be an optical engineering problem related to eye reflection since normal nighttime stars in the sky above my head at night appear as normal pinpoints.

May 3, 2024 5:22 AM in response to wkrasl

No... I do not get the glare as you describe. I do get some glare occasionally when viewing video, but depends on the lighting of the current film scene plus the lighting of the "environment" I am using. As others have mentioned elsewhere, the glare is reduced when using a brighter environment. In my experience, the glare is incidental and not a big deal when it occurs. I rarely try to make adjustments in the environment to minimize it. I certainly would not consider returning the AVP due to this occasional distraction.

May 3, 2024 6:01 AM in response to wkrasl

I’m wondering if that’s part of the issue. The image you see is an aerial image and most people perceive the aerial image to be at a distance of about 20” to 30”. Because your eyes aren’t focusing that close, the point sources are perceived as multiple points.

I’ve seen this in cameras with optical viewfinders. The virtual/aerial image the camera creates is about 20” to 30”. When farsighted people look at point light sources, like at night, they see multiple objects/points. The diopter adjustment built into many cameras helps to resolve the issue. But some individuals still have issues at night with point light sources.

Vision Pro problems with IOL implants

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.