Cox recently converted emails to yahoo. I am able to read email on yahoo reader but cannot use apple mail. Any help would be appreciated

Since cox.net changed email services to yahoo I am not able to use Apple Mail to view emails. I can view my emails on the yahoo mail reader but would rather use the Apple reader. I still use my cox.net address to get mail but it goes thru yahoo servers

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 5:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 2:33 PM

I spent hours trying to get migrated, including a couple of hours with Yahoo Customer Care. They said to create an App password on Yahoo and use that instead of my regular Yahoo password. That got the outgoing (SMTP) server to connect, but still no incoming (IMAP). Their last suggestion was to call the customer service phone number.

After doing some more searching on my own, I finally came across something that worked. When adding the new mail account, the Mac wizard displays a menu:I had been selecting the obvious "yahoo!" item here and then entering the server names, passwords, port numbers, SSL and authentication. The solution was to select "Add Other Account" instead. When I did that, I got connected to both servers. I didn't even need to enter port numbers, SSL and authentication.

Hope this helps someone else.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2024 2:33 PM in response to GoldCard

I spent hours trying to get migrated, including a couple of hours with Yahoo Customer Care. They said to create an App password on Yahoo and use that instead of my regular Yahoo password. That got the outgoing (SMTP) server to connect, but still no incoming (IMAP). Their last suggestion was to call the customer service phone number.

After doing some more searching on my own, I finally came across something that worked. When adding the new mail account, the Mac wizard displays a menu:I had been selecting the obvious "yahoo!" item here and then entering the server names, passwords, port numbers, SSL and authentication. The solution was to select "Add Other Account" instead. When I did that, I got connected to both servers. I didn't even need to enter port numbers, SSL and authentication.

Hope this helps someone else.

Apr 3, 2024 7:39 AM in response to gregfromnorfolk

While it's certainly Cox's right to cede their email service to Yahoo, how they are implementing it is beyond horrible. They've posted instructions that are vague, don't include any screenshots, or explain how to implement this change on third party apps like Apple Mail. To make matters worse, they've stated that, once the subscriber's email is migrated to Yahoo, Cox support vanishes and all support is the responsibility of Yahoo.

Apr 6, 2024 10:38 AM in response to GoldCard

If you are stil struggling as I was today, I found these instructions that were very helpful on a Cox Forum. I was not getting the dialogue box but I found the most important thing is to generate an APP password to use and not your Yahoo/Cox password and I finally got to a screen that allowed me to change the incoming/outgoing mail names. My email is working on my Macbook Air, it still shows as Cox email but my Phone and IPAD show as Yahoo. As I type this I just solved my issue 10 minutes ago, hope all can get their email working!

https://forums.cox.com/discussions/internet/using-yahoo-email-in-mac-os-mail-app/151730/replies/151736

Mar 25, 2024 5:40 PM in response to GoldCard

GoldCard wrote:

Since cox.net changed email services to yahoo I am not able to use Apple Mail to view emails.

I can view my emails on the yahoo mail reader but would rather use the Apple reader. I still use my cox.net address to get mail but it goes thru yahoo servers

"Apple reader" (?) are you asking about the Mail.app

see if there is anything here—

Mail Cox to Yahoo issues in mac Mail.app

ref: Manually configuring MBP Mail app. - Apple Community

May 8, 2024 10:47 AM in response to DorothyFShaw

DorothyFShaw - To generate the App password, log in to Yahoo, mouse over your avatar on the upper right and select "Manage Your Account" [aka Account Settings or Account Overview]. Select the Security tab, and scroll down to find and click on the link "Generate and Manage App Passwords".

If you are asking about the Mac dialogue box, click on the Apple at the top left of your desktop, click on "System Settings", then select "Internet Accounts" and click on "Add Account...".

May 29, 2024 9:58 AM in response to volkl

I am having the same problem. Can’t retrieve mail from apple mailbox. If I select add other account, will I need to create a new Apple ID or use the one I created when I switched from cox mail to yahoo. I am still using the cox. net email . I can read my emails but can’t send emails. I don’t want to lose my current emails.

thank you

Cox recently converted emails to yahoo. I am able to read email on yahoo reader but cannot use apple mail. Any help would be appreciated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.