Can't change sharing and permissions for external SSD

I am the admin and only user on a 2020 M1 Mac Mini. I just added an external SSD, APFS (case-sensitive) format. I can not write to it. When I check Sharing and Permissions it says I can only read. There is no padlock option to unlock this, and there is no list of users, including myself. See attached screen capture. How can I change this so I can actually use the new drive?

Mac mini, macOS 14.2

Posted on Mar 31, 2024 11:55 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 31, 2024 12:38 PM in response to MarzocchiZ1

What is the specific make & model of the SSD and did you format it via the "Intialize" button that may have appeared the first time you connected the SSD, or did you use Disk Utility. Also, why did you elect APFS Case Sensitive - generally it is not advisable to do case-sensitive formatting.

I also noticed in your screenshot that the drive has the TIme Machine icon; if you dedicated the drive to TM that would explain why you cannot write to it otherwise.

Mar 31, 2024 2:13 PM in response to MartinR

Thanks for responding so quickly. Some responses:

Sound like I should erase and reformat as APFS and hopefully that also gets rid of any Time Machine footprint.

May 3, 2024 12:20 PM in response to BDAqua

I have the same problem with a Samsung T7 SSD - it is “read only” - when I try to erase it with the disk utility only 5 options appear: 1) MS-DOS (Fat 16) that is present format, 2) MAC OS Extended (Journaled), 3) MAC OS Extended (Case-Sensitive Journaled), 4) ExFAT, 5) MS-DOS (FAT). Which one???

Can't change sharing and permissions for external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.