Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

[Virus Error] inserted in front of the email subject line

This just started happening. Thought it was because the of the recipients' email's treatment of attachments but no. I just replied to an email (no attachments) and the recipients (all of which were in the original email) now get [Virus Error] inserted in front of the email subject line.

This only happens when I use my iCloud email on my PC which has a good (and paid for) AV program.

I have several accounts - 1 is with my ISP, the rest are private, gmail or yahoo. None of them produce the same problem or any virus warnings to recipients from those accounts. I'm using Outlook 2016.

What's going on Apple/iCloud. I changed my default email to iCloud to avoid problems with my ISP and now I have new problems.

Windows, Windows 10 (19045)

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 6:44 PM

I said it was on my PC using Outlook.

I'm using F-Secure on my PC.

It's only the iCloud server generating these errors, none of my other accounts, using different servers, on the same PC with the same email client have any problem.

6 replies

Apr 5, 2024 5:17 PM in response to Seeingdouble4Apple

I’m also seeing this on emails from a variety of senders. It’s something being inserted on iCloud’s end, since it appears on emails sent to my @icloud.com address and read on the iCloud.com webmail service.

It seems like something is misconfigured on Apple’s end as this is not an end-user client issue. I’ve had emails from my child’s school and from Amazon have this prepended to the subject line, and since it’s visible on the iCloud.com/mail website there’s nothing on my end that could be doing this. I only access my iCloud email through the website and Apple’s Mail clients on iOS and macOS.

Apr 5, 2024 8:06 AM in response to Allan Jones

I had to select Older Hardware as it wanted a category but nothing was related to my problem.

I don't thing its even relevant to iCloud for PC since I'm not using the iCloud app for this exercise. It's all about the iCloud email although I have the iCloud app add-in in my email client to sync calendars. The iCloud app recently stopped working (about a month before this started) on my Windows 10 PC and it no longer syncs photos with my phone but that's another problem.

[Virus Error] inserted in front of the email subject line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.