No sound at all with Music 1.4.4.48 after Sonoma 14.4.1 update

After updating to Sonoma 14.4.1 , Music for Mac 1.4.4.48 latest version, there is NO sound at all coming from any device whether it is Macbook Pro Speakers, external headphones or even an external audio interface selected as output device. If I play something on YouTube, there IS sound. The previous version of Music for Mac I had, had a buggy volume slider which would not change the audio volume output. Only audio control via the system settings would change the output volume.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2024 10:36 AM

My Music Library is stored in my Onedrive. All downloaded to my local iMac. When I select one to play it won't play. If I select play for any song it just continuously pulls a random song from that playlist or album into the playing bar at the top but nothing plays.

Nothing wrong with the music as I can play it fine through VLC player, just Apple Music.

I'm running Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) so with Apple Music version 1.4.4.48

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2024 10:36 AM in response to mswcpt

My Music Library is stored in my Onedrive. All downloaded to my local iMac. When I select one to play it won't play. If I select play for any song it just continuously pulls a random song from that playlist or album into the playing bar at the top but nothing plays.

Nothing wrong with the music as I can play it fine through VLC player, just Apple Music.

I'm running Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) so with Apple Music version 1.4.4.48

May 17, 2024 1:49 PM in response to mswcpt

Same Mac OS 14.4.1, same Mac music app 1.4.4.48, running on 2018 Mac Mini Intel i3, same symptoms: I select a song to play, the app randomly selects another song, sometimes jumps across a number of songs, won't start playing. Going into the music library files, I can double click a song file icon and it plays correctly.

Please fix this, Apple, or at least give us a hint that you're working on it.

Apr 20, 2024 4:36 AM in response to mswcpt

I have this problem.

I also have the additional problem that Music will not play the track I select, but chooses apparently at random from the playlist or disc what to play.

This is immensely frustrating.

The underlying files are all unchanged and in their correct places. But somehow the cross links to these have become corrupted in this "upgrade" to 1.4.4.48.

Apr 22, 2024 12:25 PM in response to Dchantry

I found a resolution.

The links to the file seem to have been corrupted on one of the updates.

I opened a finder folder on my Mac, searched for all of the MP3 files in my iTunes folder on one drive, and then listed alphabetically (there was 20k files).

I then went through them in alphabetical order and selected all the a files, right clicked and selected open.

Did this for every letter and number.

Now the link to the files are resolved.

Did the same for M4a files.

One drawback is that if you have a lot of files that you don't have in iTunes (I remove duplicates or albums where I have a special edition version) then any of those files aren't already in your Apple Music are then added.

All I did was then select any recently added and deleted from the library and all is OK now.

Apr 22, 2024 12:26 PM in response to rd41

I found a resolution.

The links to the file seem to have been corrupted on one of the updates.

I opened a finder folder on my Mac, searched for all of the MP3 files in my iTunes folder on one drive, and then listed alphabetically (there was 20k files).

I then went through them in alphabetical order and selected all the a files, right clicked and selected open.

Did this for every letter and number.

Now the link to the files are resolved.

Did the same for M4a files.

One drawback is that if you have a lot of files that you don't have in iTunes (I remove duplicates or albums where I have a special edition version) then any of those files aren't already in your Apple Music are then added.

All I did was then select any recently added and deleted from the library and all is OK now.

Apr 22, 2024 12:41 PM in response to Dchantry

The solution offered by Dchantry is very well for him, but it doesn't address the problem I and others have stated, which. is that newly imported music will not load onto Music 1.4.4.48 after the update to Sonoma 14.4.1. I can't even play new CDs this way, which is very annoying and inconvenient. One hopes, without much evidence, that Apple is looking for a solution to this issue.

No sound at all with Music 1.4.4.48 after Sonoma 14.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.