iCloud has stopped downloading unmodified originals (.mov) files and now only download worse quality .mp4 files

I shoot videos in 1080p on my iphone XS and have had no problems downloading the originals from icloud until today.

When i click download 'unmodified originals' now on icloud it will only download small worse quality 720 mp4 files instead of the original 1080p, It's very strange because when up to yesterday it would download the same files in their correct 1080p format in .mov form when i clicked 'unmodified originals'. I havent gone near the settings so very puzzled how this could happen. Does anyone have an insight on how to fix this?Thanks.

Below shows the button im clicking to download (same as i always have) and also screenshot the actual files 1080p resolution below too for confirmation.

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 4:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2024 9:08 PM

I am having the exact same issue. I cannot get anything to download in MOV quality and it's driving me nuts, I have a high profile project I need to complete and I literally cannot get my original quality files for the movie.

What is happening icloud? I am really starting to regret trusting you guys...

5 replies

May 6, 2024 10:20 PM in response to arossy

Same issue for me!

I record video @ 4k and all of a sudden close to maybe two and a half weeks ago when I click "Unmodified Originals" it downloads them as 720p.

Now the only way to get my **** videos off my phone @ full 4k quality, I have to Reset Location & Privacy and reset my PC then my phone then plug my phone in to my PC and go through the whole Trust This Device steps then I have to quickly pull the files off the phone before it for some reason stops allowing any files to be copied, and if it timed out and didn't allow enough time for the copy to finish or it doesn't allow any more access to copy the video files, I then have to go through the whole reset protocol again...

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 29, 2024 12:02 AM in response to arossy

I’m having a similar problem as well (not quite the same however, just similar)

For me, the download options all seem to have a mind of their own

On a few of my videos, when selecting the Full Resolution With Edits option, it for some reason downloaded without edits, as if I clicked Unmodified Originals

Then on some videos, if I select Most Compatible (which should include edits), the downloaded 720p MP4 is unmodified (no edits)

And on some video, I somehow managed to download a 1080p MP4 (with edits) 🤷‍♂️

I sure hope it’s just some glitch with iCloud.com that Apple is planning on fixing soon

iCloud has stopped downloading unmodified originals (.mov) files and now only download worse quality .mp4 files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.