MacBook Pro mid not responding to Power button

So, one day after a long time, i turned on my Mid 2012 13” MacBook Pro which sat in my closet. When i turned it on charger light is orange, turns on as usual, it doesn’t have a disk inside it so i booted it to internet recovery. Everything goes well until the internet recovery logo stops spinning and it gets stuck at 1 minute remaining. A few minutes later the charger light goes blank (almost dark green) and the laptops fan turns off, and the display also. So I thought it must be some issue so I replugged the charger and it shows the dark green light, and when I press power button nothing happens. Next day i tried to turn it on to check if it magically got fixed, but this time it booted up into the downloading internet recovery screen and it repeats the same process like the first time. Please help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 2, 2024 5:22 AM

7 replies

May 2, 2024 8:46 PM in response to YouraverageAppleuser

Hard to say, but may be a problem with the internal drive, but there are other possibilities such as bad memory (or bad memory slot), or a power issue (battery, charger, etc.). Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Unfortunately the diagnostics rarely detect issues even when one exists, but it never hurts to check.

Are you actually booting into Internet Recovery Mode? Try to force Internet Recovery Mode by using Command + Option + R immediately after hearing the startup chime.

I do have another option for creating & using a bootable Linux USB stick. I can provide instructions if interested if none of the previous suggestion help or provide any clues.

May 3, 2024 4:41 AM in response to YouraverageAppleuser

Yea I have all most the same problem I have the same MacBook and I think that the EFI is coruptes because the fans are in full speed and is so so slow... In the Administrator Task There is a process that it consumes all the computer try to do a NVRAM Reset and a SMC Reset...

Restablecer la NVRAM en el Mac - Soporte técnico de Apple (ES)

Restablecer el SMC del Mac - Soporte técnico de Apple (ES)

May 3, 2024 2:37 AM in response to HWTech

None of these solutions work, as the laptop only boots up one time and refuses to boot after I remove the charger and plug it in again. It booted into internet recovery today stuck on the Apple logo with the beach ball cursor so I decided to remove the charger and boot it again to fix it. When I plug in the charger amber light is there, but the laptop refuses to boot after pressing the power button

May 3, 2024 4:18 PM in response to YouraverageAppleuser

YouraverageAppleuser wrote:

The disk and the ram are from a laptop with a good history and a good record. It worked when I removed it from it. It’s the exact type of ram which is needed in this model of the MacBook. I will try the SMC and PRAM reset and update you if that works. Thanks

Was that memory from another Mac or a non-Apple PC? Memory from a regular PC may not be compatible with a Mac even though the RAM speed is the same since there are a lot more memory timings that are not usually listed on the memory modules and Apple certainly does not list those other memory timings in any documentation that I am aware. I have personal experience here and have seen numerous posts on this forum as well. I will only ever use memory that is actually listed as Mac compatible and then I will go with memory from Crucial or OWC.

As I mentioned in my first post within this thread, there are a lot of possibilities for the problem, but people must take the first step & start troubleshooting by trying my earlier suggestions to start gathering information that may help to narrow down the problem. I have a lot of simple tricks in my bag to figure out the problem, but we need to start gathering information by answering the questions in my earlier post so I know where to focus next.

MacBook Pro mid not responding to Power button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.