How to stop Mail from creating Trash sub folder on Mac Studio running macOS Sonoma

It's been years of having this issue unresolved; Every time I delete (remove/archive) an Email on a Mobile Device (iPhone, iPad) using an 'Other Account' Email provider (not iCloud, Microsoft Exchange, Google, Gmail, Yahoo, Aol) with IMAP properly setup -> the Mail app on Desktop (iMac, MacBook, Mac Studio) creates a Subfolder of Index named 'Trash'.

It would be great if this never happens again. I must have manually deleted/removed this folder hundreds of times now and I am losing my sense of humour about it.

Is this me, or is this happening to more Apple users?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on May 2, 2024 4:54 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2024 11:25 AM in response to jvdnieuwendijk

jvdnieuwendijk wrote:

It's been years of having this issue unresolved; Every time I delete (remove/archive) an Email on a Mobile Device (iPhone, iPad)

using an 'Other Account' Email provider (not iCloud, Microsoft Exchange, Google, Gmail, Yahoo, Aol)

with IMAP properly setup -> the Mail app on Desktop (iMac, MacBook, Mac Studio) creates a Subfolder of Index named 'Trash'.

It would be great if this never happens again. I must have manually deleted/removed this folder hundreds of times now and I am losing my sense of humour about it.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/5ce4aca5-2817-42da-8edc-452d3227c2b1

Is this me, or is this happening to more Apple users?

What is your "Other"...?

Never have I heard this issue before... re: "It's been years of having this issue unresolved"

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account(s) from the Mail.app, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

May 3, 2024 10:46 PM in response to leroydouglas

Hi,

Should have said months. Realistically.

MacOS Mail Trash subfolder problem - Apple Community

My "other" is a webmail that came with my website hosting. My settings are correct. I have double checked with the hosting company, and their Helpdesk, multiple times.

Thanks for the links to the basic information on 'Removing Email Accounts', and 'Adding Email Accounts'. These options I have tried (multiple times) before I wrote to the community for the second time.

When I delete the unwanted Inbox 'Trash' subfolders on my Mac, in de Mail app, by right clicking them and selecting 'delete' the folder disappears. If I restart my Mac, it's still gone. If I turn my Mac off and on again, it's still gone.

However when I delete an email on my iPhone or iPad, in the Mail app (inbox -> message -> swipe left -> 'delete' or 'Archive'.) and then restart my Mac, the unwanted folder is there again.

Like I have mentioned earlier, I have now deleted this subfolder hundreds of times. Every time I open the Mail app, and see it, I have to manually delete it. It's not supposed to be there, I wish this problem could be resolved.

Other thoughts on how we could approach this are very welcome.

How to stop Mail from creating Trash sub folder on Mac Studio running macOS Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.