Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

How do I get names and photos in my contacts to update automatically?

My name and photo sharing is enabled and i used to see updated photos from my contacts but now the only option i have is to customise a photo for each contact rather than it update automatically. When i co onto my contacts and go onto a contact and choose name and photo sharing the option for the photo to update automatically has gone but it used to be there. How do i get it back on

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on May 3, 2024 9:20 AM

1 reply

May 4, 2024 2:24 AM in response to SallyBanoffee

It was never Update Automatically. The option was "Share automatically".

The content visible on your device is a reflection of the information stored in your contact list and is not contingent on what others have individually shared through the Message app.

When your contacts engage in Photo Sharing through the Message app, it's important to note that they lack the capability to save those photos and link them directly to your contact details. Unfortunately, this feature lies beyond their control and cannot be altered or manipulated.

Please see the pic below which is self-explanatory.

Start Sharing:

Stop Sharing

How do I get names and photos in my contacts to update automatically?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.