Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Is there a limit to the number of password attempts on an external SDD

I have an external SDD that I password protected. I thought I entered the correct password to unlock it but it does not accept it. I tried and retried other possible passwords but each time I press unlock it shakes.

I'm reading on various forums there may be limits to the number of unsuccessful attempts.

My question is -- if I reach the maximum will it tell me the drive is permanently locked or will it keep letting me try and shaking even if I do enter the correct password?

If it's permanently locked I don't want to keep wasting my time trying to unlock it.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 3, 2024 10:47 AM

4 replies

May 3, 2024 1:11 PM in response to wreinhold

Let's start by you letting us know how your "password protected" this external SSD.

Did you do so:

Regarding your concern about reaching the maximum attempts, it depends on the specific security measures implemented by the manufacturer on this SSD. In some cases, if you exceed the maximum number of unsuccessful attempts, the drive may indeed become permanently locked, making it inaccessible without specialized tools or assistance from the manufacturer. However, some drives might simply impose a temporary lockout period after a certain number of failed attempts, allowing you to try again after a set period of time. The only method to verify this would be to contact the SSD's manufacturer.

May 3, 2024 1:40 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for taking the time to reply for and the information.

My question about maximum attempts wasn't so much whether or not there is a max, but rather how I would know I've reached the max. After several dozen attempts it's still behaving exactly like it did on the first attempt.

I don't remember how I password protected it but most likely Finder or Disk Utility. That was around 5 years ago and I don't recall even setting a password.

Is there a limit to the number of password attempts on an external SDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.