Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Final Cut Pro becomes homicidal and also damaged Library fix help

2 Final Cut Pro problems.

Backstory: I have a several modest sized files that I have been editing on for the last 2 years off and on. About a week ago I open up FCP and get an error message that the file needs to be updated and then a subsequent can't update message (we'll get back to that later). I then leave FCP running and go off to do other things thinking that I will be able to fix it later. Later came but when it did I got the dreaded you computer is completely out of space message (I had 600ish gbs remaining 30 mins prior). This critical lack of space locks me down and makes it so my computer won't boot and eventually I need to re-install from my time machine backup.

Now: I have again tried to get my old libraries working to no avail and again (not making the connection) left FCP running. This time I caught it after it had only sucked up 800 GBs (I was back to 1.5TB after my migration and now am back down to 700ish.

Looking in Storage in Settings I notice this:

And as of the post I have let that pane run about an hour to see what it will calculate to (most likely my missing 800+ GBs).

So the first question is how do I stop FCP from trying to kill my system?

Next question is how to I restore my library files?

When I try to open I get this error:

When I try to Update I get:

Same story with backups. I have tried various things I have been able to find on this subject on the web/youtube but all to no avail.

Anyone have any idea how to fix these issues? Haunted Final Cut Pro? Exorcism needed?

M1 Max MacBook Pro 14.4.1, FCP 10.7.1

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 3, 2024 2:50 PM

16 replies

May 4, 2024 7:00 AM in response to SterlingBen

SterlingBen wrote:
A brief internet search would lead me to believe that EtreCheck is not safe enough to consider using.

There is a stalker who has for many years been badmouthing EtreCheck and its author. Apple too. He has published a lot of negative claims about Etrecheck & Apple, cloaking them in misleading and even outright incorrect technical mumbo-jumbo designed to give the appearance that the writer knows what he's talking about. That is the real 'social engineering' the writer claims to be against. He's using it to engineer you to believe what he claims.

May 3, 2024 3:17 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hello, thank you for the reply. I posed those initially just as the last library I had tried.

The main one does the same thing:

As for the version My FCP was damaged after I did my time machine restore and I had to download the latest version. That being said I kept it fairly up to date so it can't have been that old of a version I was using, maybe 6 months?

I had cleared down to 1.5tb before this issue recurred. I am not sure why FCP would be doing any of these though as it was unable to open the libraries so there was nothing in it to crunch on?

May 3, 2024 3:08 PM in response to SterlingBen

You have opened a backup library. Where is the original library?

If it has to update the library that means you have updated the application, from what version did you update? Backups probably can’t be updated properly.

There can be a number of reasons the computer is out of space, from FCP generated files by creating optimized and/ or proxy files, by having background rendering turning on, so the application is generating large files and also running analysis processes to computer itself which is continuously generating very large snapshots.

The first thing you should do is try to clear off some free space by moving content onto another drive. The system drive should have a minimum of 15% free at all times. The next thing is to find your original library, whatever it’s called, and not use a date/time stamp backup.

May 3, 2024 4:11 PM in response to SterlingBen

The library was probably made in 6.10.

As you say if FCP hasn’t opened anything it isn’t generating any files, only the. system is.

Does Time Machine still have a copy of the older version of FCP, or do you have a backup of it?

It’s hard to deal what’s going on without knowing anything about your system, an EtreCheck report https://etrecheck.com would help a great deal.

May 4, 2024 8:21 AM in response to MartinR

MartinR wrote:
There is a stalker who has for many years been badmouthing EtreCheck and its author. Apple too.

A little clarification may be in order. When I said "Apple too" in my earlier post, I meant that the stalker has also been badmouthing Apple. As far as I know, Apple has never said anything against Etrecheck or its author; on the contrary, in my experience Apple has been quite supportive of them.

May 4, 2024 1:09 PM in response to SterlingBen

SterlingBen wrote:
To be honest both the Etre and the sites I saw that talked about it being not great all looked kinda sus.

Even in today's Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting Warrent Buffet talked about the all-too-legitimate-looking scam emails & websites that have sprung up. Just because something "looks" or "sounds" legit or suspect isn't enough to conclude whether or not it is in fact legit or suspect. There are a lot of legit authors & good apps that happen to be available on websites that "don't look great" ... and bad ones that look totally professional.

There is almost no way you could replicate the detail that Etrecheck can provide without actually replicating the Etrecheck app itself. You could search these forums to find Etrecheck reports that have been posted by other users to see the kind of information it provides.

That's all I have to say on the subject.

May 4, 2024 7:59 PM in response to SterlingBen

To be honest both the Etre and the sites I saw that talked about it being not great all looked kinda sus.

It has always been the case that bad rumors spread far and quickly. The truth and good reviews tend to be hidden. I think you just happened to see the rumors.

Please think carefully about the people answering your questions. Are they trying to harm you and your PC with evil applications? Or are you trying really hard to help?

Final Cut Pro becomes homicidal and also damaged Library fix help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.