How to prevent Apple Gift card scams ?

I purchased a £250 Apple gift card today and by the time I got home the card had no balance on it. This has happened before does anyone know what I can do, because I’m losing money because Apple can’t and won’t help and Sainsbury’s can’t and won’t help. This is not right two big establishments robbing the small man.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on May 4, 2024 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2024 8:10 AM

Go to the retailer where it was purchased. If the retailer displays the cards in a location where they are available for anyone to tamper with, they are aware of this common scam. People will grab a bunch of cards off of the rack and remove the grey sticker and write down the code. They can easily replace this sticker with one purchased on Amazon and then return the cards to the rack. After you activate the card, they will spend the amount before you get a chance to.

You will probably notice that these same retailers have no problem locking up products where they can lose money due to theft, but when it comes to protecting their customers from theft, they don't seem to care. If you want to purchase any gift card from a retailer, only do that when they are sold behind a counter and not available to the public to tamper with. The retailer can help as they are the one's that are contributing to you losing money, but they choose not to. That retailer does not deserve your support.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2024 8:10 AM in response to mark1656

Go to the retailer where it was purchased. If the retailer displays the cards in a location where they are available for anyone to tamper with, they are aware of this common scam. People will grab a bunch of cards off of the rack and remove the grey sticker and write down the code. They can easily replace this sticker with one purchased on Amazon and then return the cards to the rack. After you activate the card, they will spend the amount before you get a chance to.

You will probably notice that these same retailers have no problem locking up products where they can lose money due to theft, but when it comes to protecting their customers from theft, they don't seem to care. If you want to purchase any gift card from a retailer, only do that when they are sold behind a counter and not available to the public to tamper with. The retailer can help as they are the one's that are contributing to you losing money, but they choose not to. That retailer does not deserve your support.

How to prevent Apple Gift card scams ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.