Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

HDR footage blown out in Final Cut Pro. No option to convert to HLG to REC 709

My HDR clips from iphone scrub ok in the browser but when I add them to the timeline they're blown out. Ive heard the solution is too add the HDR tools filter, then convert to HLG to REC 709 but my Final Cut Pro does NOT have the HLG to REC 709 option in the effects browswer dropdown menu. How to fix this without using that common workaround? Such as changing the project settings, or converting outside FCP's built in conversion routes?

SYSTEM SPECS:

FCPX version 10.4.7

MacOS version 10.15.7

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 4, 2024 11:04 AM

11 replies

May 4, 2024 4:13 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, I am able to switch the project format to Wide Gamut HDR but after doing that, the HDR clips are displaying correctly but now the regular clips are all darkened and muted. And when I turn up the exposure manually it introduces noise. Is there a way to mass-fix the dark and light clips to have them around the same exposure? Or is it just due to the incompatible standard clips being in a now HDR project?

May 4, 2024 7:22 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I tried that, and adding the HDR tools in 709 project setting. The HDR clips are unusable in a 709 project, they're baked in. Even the HDR tools filter doesn't fix them it just dims them a bit. Now that the project is set to HDR 2100 the HDR clips are great but the regular clips are darker. But it's progress. I'll look into updating but don't want the current state to be affected by an update mid project.

HDR footage blown out in Final Cut Pro. No option to convert to HLG to REC 709

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.