How to share a bluetooth keyboard between MacOS and Windows?

This Apple Support page says that you can use bluetooth devices on Bootcamp once you have paired them in MacOS. I have also found reddit posts that also mentions that Boot Camp can synchronize Bluetooth link keys between macOS and Windows which allows the same bluetooth keyboard to be shared between MacOS and Windows.

But how do you achieve this? When I pair my bluetooth devices in MacOs and then go into bootcamp, Windows cannot see the device.

I have tried deleting all Bluetooth devices in MacOS & Windows. And then resetting SMC/NVRAM. And then re-pairing the Bluetooth device in MacOS. But Windows still cannot see it.

Environment:

MacOS 12.7.4

Windows 10

I have a logitech keyboard which allows you to switch between 3 devices. But I am already using the 3 for MacOS, iPadOS and iOS. So I'd like to have Windows and MacOS share the same pairing.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.5

Posted on May 12, 2024 4:24 AM

11 replies

May 12, 2024 8:02 AM in response to big_smile

It is all about range. Bluetooth has a range of 30 feet/10 meters. If you move the device out of range and it doesn't show up then you can try to pair with a new device. Or you can turn off Bluetooth on the device you aren't using, and turn on in the device you are using. Your Boot Camp question really belongs to the Boot Camp forum:

Windows on Mac - Apple Community

And since it is with a Logitech device, you may get additional help on:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us

May 12, 2024 2:29 PM in response to big_smile

There’s a subtlety here: the support article you’re reading is not sharing a keyboard with two different hardware computers and each with arbitrary macOS and Windows installs, it’s using the same keyboard with the same computer hardware running those different systems in sequence. The two operating systems both have access to the same low-level pairing info, and both are not active in parallel. There’s no confusion because there’s never two systems running simultaneously.

Want parallel sharing? Get a Bluetooth keyboard with multiple host / multiple device support. As you already have.

But you need a fourth.

Here is an example of a keyboard with four hosts: http://matias.ca/aluminum/backlit/

May 15, 2024 5:37 AM in response to MrHoffman

@MrHoffman

Hi Just to clarify: In my use case, Windows and macOS are installed on the same MacBook Pro. I hold down alt during start up to switch between them. Windows was installed via bootcamp. So I have to switch between the two OSes. I can't run them at the same time.

So wouldn't the support article apply? Can't I use the same keyboard between Windows and macOS as they are both installed on the same MacBook Pro with windows installed via bootcamp?

May 16, 2024 5:13 AM in response to MrHoffman

@MrHoffman

In macOS, I went to Apps> Utilities > Bootcamp Assistant > Action > Download Windows Support Software

It gave some files which I saved to a USB drive.

I then restarted the MacBook and held down alt to enter Windows 10.

In Windows 10, I opened the Bootcamp installer. There was only an option to repair.

After the repair was complete, I booted back into MacOS and removed all Bluetooth devices. I then did a SMC/PMC reset. I then went back into MacOS, re-connected my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. And then I waited for an hour.

I then went back into Windows 10, but it still cannot see the keyboard or mouse.

Is there a setting I have to click in Windows 10 for it to see it? I've run Apple Software update in windows, but it says there is no new software. I have version 6.0 of Bootcamp control panel for Windows.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

May 16, 2024 7:57 AM in response to big_smile

Erase the partition using Boot Camp Assistant, and re-install Windows. Otherwise, you’re troubleshooting Windows and Windows Bluetooth (and whatever Windows add-ons), and that’s beyond my ken these days.

As an alternative, boot Windows as a guest in a virtual machine running on macOS. That can sometimes provide a different set of problems to troubleshoot of course, and maybe that configuration works better.

How to share a bluetooth keyboard between MacOS and Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.