Dell WD19 power delivery

I am using Dell WD19 dock for display extension and other ports connectivity with my MBP M3pro. Is there any problem using the dock through out the day? As the battery gets fully charged, the power source becomes the power adapter and the power delivery from the dock as per their manual is

Dell systems

● 90 W power capability to Dell systems with 130 W AC-adapter

● 130 W power capability to Dell systems with 180 W AC-adapter

Non-Dell systems

● 90 W support for USB Power Delivery 3.0.

I used to charge my mac until battery is full and then continue to work using the battery.

Thank you

Musaid

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 14, 2024 12:33 AM

7 replies

May 14, 2024 12:16 PM in response to musaidpp

It is electrically very difficult to use more than one power source.

Asserting a voltage against a Mac input does nothing. Power is only accepted after a negotiation over MagSafe or USB-C Power Delivery Protocol. Power is only supplied at the levels negotiated for as long as both devices are willing to provide and accept power. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

MacOS literature suggest the BEST power source will be used, but the reality readers see is that if the first power source is adequate, it will be used for as long as needed.

May 18, 2024 6:55 AM in response to musaidpp

musaidpp wrote:

Hi,
I found a potential solution for my concern: AlDente.

This application allows me to set a charging limit, say 80%, ensuring the battery won't charge beyond that point. This feature helps when working constantly with the Dell dock. If the battery is having charge above the limit, the macbook will simply use power directly from the power adapter.

What do you think?

[Edited by Moderator]

I think you are wasting your time and money adding third-party software, when MacOS developers already includes provisions to control battery charging precisely and provide best battery longevity possible based on your actual usage patterns. it is unlikely any third-party add-on has access to the right kind of data to do as well as what Apple already provided through Battery Health Management. Just enable the feature.

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

May 14, 2024 10:46 AM in response to musaidpp

musaidpp wrote:

I am using Dell WD19 dock for display extension and other ports connectivity with my MBP M3pro. Is there any problem using the dock through out the day? As the battery gets fully charged, the power source becomes the power adapter and the power delivery from the dock as per their manual is

Dell systems
● 90 W power capability to Dell systems with 130 W AC-adapter
● 130 W power capability to Dell systems with 180 W AC-adapter
Non-Dell systems
● 90 W support for USB Power Delivery 3.0.

I used to charge my mac until battery is full and then continue to work using the battery.

Thank you
Musaid

The rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery only—this is how you help optimize your battery charging and extend the working life of your battery by reducing the cycle count.

May 14, 2024 9:15 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant Bennet-Alder for the response.

I understood that my mac will not over-charge by using the dock. I believe 90W is adequate power for the mac (The power brick received with Macbook was of 70W to charge over MagSafe port).

What about the battery life? will it be affected by using the dock through out the day (where power source will be power adapter and not battery through out the day)?

May 18, 2024 12:47 AM in response to musaidpp

Hi,

I found a potential solution for my concern: AlDente.

This application allows me to set a charging limit, say 80%, ensuring the battery won't charge beyond that point. This feature helps when working constantly with the Dell dock. If the battery is having charge above the limit, the macbook will simply use power directly from the power adapter.

What do you think?

[Edited by Moderator]

Dell WD19 power delivery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.