Searchable cell - highlight results as you type your search

I wonder if it is possible but could I create a cell, that when I type value or text the results are highlighted ?

For instance: I have a file with moreover 500 products with each their own product number. Attached is an example. Some of the digits are the same with different letters which make the product numbers unique. Now my intention would be to create a cell. And when I type in that cell, result in product numbers are highlighted and the more you type in to that cell, the more the search gets narrowed down.

Below a simulation what I would like to achieve. It is not actual working !!! The highlighting (red letters) is done manually.

First example: I search for the combination "12" and I get 3 results.

Second example: I search for the combination "45" and I get 5 hits.

Third example: by keeping to type more into the search cell "NY145" I narrow my search down to 1 result.

I hope the three examples speak for them selves and that someone can tell me:

a) if it is possible

b) how to create it / what formula

Thanks a lot

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 14, 2024 11:25 AM

4 replies

May 15, 2024 12:12 AM in response to Mrfra62

Unfortunately, Numbers doesn’t support conditional formatting based on another cell's value. Therefore, you can't automatically highlight cells based on the search. However, you can make a little modification to your table.

For example, you can add a column after the description column, and name it "Match or not".

Then in C3, type in the formula: =IF(AND(NOT(ISBLANK($B$1)), NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH($B$1, A3)))), "Match", ""). Copy this formula to the rest of the cells in column C.

You can refer to the screenshot below:

Then you can try searching in B1. For example, you can type in 12, and you can see all the matching rows will return Match in column C, like the screenshot below.

Try typing C12, and only one row will return Match.

Hope this can help you!

May 16, 2024 7:03 AM in response to Mrfra62

You can use Command Enter to enter the data without it moving to another cell. Then use Option Return to start typing again. Of course, nothing is just simple like that. If you use Command Return when you didn't type anything, it will move the selection to the parent (i.e., you will select the entire table) and if you use Option Return while typing it will make a line feed in your text.

Searchable cell - highlight results as you type your search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.